VOGONS

First post, by connercole@gmail.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Friends,

I hope you can help, I am an avid retro fan with a pretty decent PC building background (I had a PC shop for about 8 years some time ago)
I have recently been building a 20th anniversary remake the first "new" PC i ever bought when i was back studying Computing at college.

Gigabyte GA-5AA Rev 2.2, AMD K6-2 450MHz, Voodoo 3 3000 AGP, Soundblaster Live.
Now i know i could have built better and I do have several other machines but this spec holds the most nostalgia for me.

Everything went together well and i started populating the missing headers on the motherboard just for completeness. The USB header and the PS/2 Header I needed to remake due to the different Pin outs and again I managed this fine.

The issue i now face is that the PS/2 mouse will only work for about one minute (sometimes upto 5) then freeze, regardless of what I'm doing and what OS I am in. It even does this on the Windows Installation screens so I'm pretty sure its not driver related. A soft reset will not fix this and even an full power off and on will only fix it about 50% of the time. What will fix it is if i load BIOS default setup values. It will 100% of the time work for another 60 secs. I have tried all the available PNP OS Installed ON / OFF settings, Disabling all other ports in case its a resource clash etc. Ive been looking at this for about a week now 🙁

Of course i could just use a Serial mouse (which works fine) but this build is kinda special to me (paid far too much for some of the stuff)

Does anyone have any ideas or have perhaps seen this before ?

Thanks,
Peter