VOGONS

First post, by newnumbertwo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello - long-time lurker, first-time poster. I recently picked up a Libretto 110CT in seemingly great shape off Ebay. I'd been hunting for one of these for years, and was very excited to find one in such excellent condition.

However, it appears to have developed a screen issue in transit:

screen1.jpg
Filename
screen1.jpg
File size
8.94 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Since the pixels changed color depending on the color displayed on screen, I thought it might be something on the surface, so I gently cleaned the display, applying a bare amount of pressure, but it was enough to change the pixel distribution somewhat:

screen2.jpg
Filename
screen2.jpg
File size
1.74 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Are these stuck pixels? Is there a Win98-compatible application I can use to try and unstick them?

Reply 1 of 7, by Byrd

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

Libretto 100/110 have quite sensitive and fragile displays, often coming with lines or dead altogether. I've repaired several Librettos of late and not come across your issue.

However, I've come across a few PowerBooks of late with similar purple streaks and it was LCD crystal damage essentially - from pressure (poor shipment). Do you still see the streaks with the unit powered off under a bright light?

Reply 2 of 7, by newnumbertwo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I can see them unfortunately. The Libretto was packed really well, a bummer this happened. Would you happen to know the part number for a replacement display?

I'm looking online, and see a couple refurbished, part numbers P000249560 and P000258270; I also found it referenced as the Sharp LQ71Y03.

[EDIT]: Verified the part numbers. The 249560 and 258270 appear to be essentially the same component, just different part numbers for the 100ct (258270) and 110CT (249560). I purchased a refurbished display from impact computers. There's a new old stock on Ebay for $450, but that seems a little pricey 🤣. If you have any tips on swapping out the display, it would be most appreciated. I found a teardown of the 100CT on youtube but didn't show removing the display from the bezel.

Reply 3 of 7, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No help here, but best of luck swapping the screen. The Librettos deserve to live on for many more years yet 😀

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 4 of 7, by Byrd

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

From what I've seen lately the purple "bloom" on old LCDs is related to very fine micro fractures in the LCD panel itself, not a complete crack that causes much widespread visual damage. For example, in two PowerBook 100 LCDs I recently spent time on, where the mouse ball was situated the purple bloom occurred there over years of gentle pressure on the LCD with the lid closed on the mouse ball. I tore down the layers off the LCD thinking it might be the polarising film, but alas it became apparent it was the LCD crystal layer itself. Not fixable and probably will get worse over time especially with "massaging" the display.

Good work on finding a cheap replacement display - I'm currently battling with a 100CT that has the far most line of vertical pixels out; with some firm pressure they reappear, but usually any further work it will either make it worse so I think I'll just leave it as is as it's nice and bright appears to have minimal use.

100/100CT service manuals are online, taking apart the LCD is a simple enough affair with the casing coming apart relatively easily using a soft plastic "spudger" tool. Use a hair dryer to gently warm up the stickers covering the screws, and a wide fine flat head screwdriver to lift them up.

JB

Reply 5 of 7, by newnumbertwo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the tips on disassembly. I paid $71.96 (not counting tax & shipping) for the replacement display, and the seller on Ebay was kind enough to refund that amount to me. Really nice to see that sort of integrity in sellers.

I don't know if ~$72USD + shipping is what you would consider affordable, but here are links to the parts. From what I have read -as you're probably well aware, just restating for posterity- the display for the Toshiba Libretto 100CT and the 110CT is the same: the Sharp LQ71Y03. The Libretto 110CT's part number for this component is P000249560:

https://www.impactcomputers.com/p000249560.html

The Libretto 100CT's part number for this component is P000258270:

https://www.impactcomputers.com/p000258270.html

Impact's availability number for this display says 50+

[EDIT] Got an email announcing the part was backordered, and now the listing for these parts all say "Call for details". This is turning into an expensive Ebay purchase.

Reply 6 of 7, by newnumbertwo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The saga continues! I purchased a Sharp LQ71Y03 from Ebay described as "new - open box". Upon receipt and installation, I noticed a 1-pixel vertical orange line along the left-hand side of the display, and a 1-pixel white line along the top of the display. These lines are visible from the BIOS, and during boot.

Worried that I might have somehow damaged the video assembly during removal, I swapped the old display back in and discovered that the lines did not exist in the old display, so I have to assume that the part I got was not actually new, but either used or a factory reject. The lines aren't that noticeable during regular use. They're glaring when I'm in DOS mode but otherwise the display seems fine, but I paid "new" money for this and am thinking I'm probably owed a significant refund and if they won't refund my money, a return. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1751.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_1751.jpg
    File size
    713.02 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    110ct display with lines close-up
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 7 of 7, by Byrd

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You've been sold a dud display - it's what most of them do, nothing you've done to cause this. You could probably live with the single vertical line but across the top is less common. If I push firmly on the frame on my 100CT display (with single red vertical line of pixels), it'll go, but I'm not tempted to clamp down more on the frame to make it worse.