VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Almost two years have passed, and during this time two new toys have found their way to my home lab: an oscilloscope and a digital microscope.

From time to time I like to pull some board from the "dead" box and give it one more try, maybe using the above tools which I hadn't available when first trying to repair the respective board. Few days ago it was this Soltek's turn for this treatment.

The oscilloscope helped me to determine that all the clock signals are present and have the right frequency.

As there was a mention of the possibility of broken solder balls under the NB, I checked the resistance of each data bus pin vs. ground, no CPU installed, and found them all identical, so no breakage - at least on the data bus.

Then I had another go at visual inspection, using both the microscope and a strong magnifying glass. Ironically, it was the magnifier that helped me spot something that eluded me since the beginning. A hairline crack in a 680 ohm resistor network (RN12), near the CPU socket, in the area that received the most damage. Transplanted a identical one from a scrap board, again keeping the expectations low, ...BUT..., as you can see:

IMG_20221003_182638.jpg
Filename
IMG_20221003_182638.jpg
File size
1003.09 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
20221004_000016.JPG
Filename
20221004_000016.JPG
File size
1.55 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Fitted a matching heatsink on the NB (original was gone), board ran flawlessly through Phil's DOS benchmark pack and other DOS diagnostic tools. I'll test it under Windows later on, but I don't expect other trouble.
All in all, a happy retro day 😀