VOGONS

First post, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now here´s a sad story: I bought this mainboard last year (quite cheap), I knew some damage had been done by battery leakage, but I wasn´t aware of the true extent.
Since the board came with both original Supermicro VRMs, 2 Pentium Pro 200/512 and 2 quality fans/heatsinks the risk was moderate. I was hoping to be able to repair ths board though.
A vast area around and below the battery was covered with some sort of brownish coating. I removed the battery, 2 ISA slots since the contacts were totally corroded, 2 ICs that had been undermined and fell off while gently brushing away the dust. After that I cleaned everything with IPA and let it dry.

Some pics for illustration:

supermud1.JPG
Filename
supermud1.JPG
File size
1.89 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
supermud2.JPG
Filename
supermud2.JPG
File size
1.5 MiB
Views
File license
supermud3.JPG
Filename
supermud3.JPG
File size
1.82 MiB
Views
File license

It´s nice how they have hidden the "Made in Taiwan" carefully under the ISA slot while a second sticker says "Made in USA".

What do you guys do with such a ruin? Did anyone manage / have the patience to restore such a load of traces? (I already restored about 20 of them on the downside.
Is there any chance to succeed here at all when I don´t know what has been happening in the layers between?

Last edited by majestyk on 2024-04-01, 10:24. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 29, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have not - yet!
It´s a pity to see this fine mainboard in shambles.
After removing the ISA slots and repairing countless traces it still wouldn´t start up.
Since I´m not sure the BIOS is still o.k. and Supermicro mainboards refuse to start with BIOSes from other brands in most cases (and the other way round), I decided to put the P6DNE aside and wait for my EEPROM programmer to arrive. I plan to reflash the BIOS (it´s still available on the SuperO site) and then try again and continue with the troubleshooting.

Reply 3 of 29, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure if it works on something as new as a pentium pro machine but perhaps you could try to look into this as well ? http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/supersoft_lan … dmark%20ROM.htm

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4 of 29, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While working on the TYAN S1662 and waiting for parts, I thought it might be a good idea to have another go at my Supermicro P6DNE that has been sitting in my shelve for 3 years now gathering dust.
I decided to start with replacing the two (probably) buffer chips that came off when I initially cleaned everything. I had put them some place "safe" so they wouldn´t get lost, but today I cannot remember where.
I tried to find some picture of this board on the net to find out, but there´s virtually not a single higher resolution picture to be found. Was the P6DNE that rare or did noone bother to take some decent pics?
So VOGONS is the last resort again. Someone here "must" own this board 😉

It´s about U16 and U17, they seem to be in the ISA bus between the southbridge and ISA slots - maybe F244 or F245:

2unknownbufferchips.JPG
Filename
2unknownbufferchips.JPG
File size
162.17 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 5 of 29, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
majestyk wrote on 2024-03-23, 07:21:
While working on the TYAN S1662 and waiting for parts, I thought it might be a good idea to have another go at my Supermicro P6D […]
Show full quote

While working on the TYAN S1662 and waiting for parts, I thought it might be a good idea to have another go at my Supermicro P6DNE that has been sitting in my shelve for 3 years now gathering dust.
I decided to start with replacing the two (probably) buffer chips that came off when I initially cleaned everything. I had put them some place "safe" so they wouldn´t get lost, but today I cannot remember where.
I tried to find some picture of this board on the net to find out, but there´s virtually not a single higher resolution picture to be found. Was the P6DNE that rare or did noone bother to take some decent pics?

It´s about U16 and U17, they seem to be in the ISA bus between the southbridge and ISA slots - maybe F244 or F245:

2unknownbufferchips.JPG

See Supermicro P6DNE Dual SKT8 - No Post. Power Connector Mystery

SM P6DNE.jpg
Filename
SM P6DNE.jpg
File size
338.26 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 6 of 29, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a look at my dragon horde, but it looks like I dont have this board - however, I have a P6DBE - i thought it would be "close enough" but its not. sorry.

the p6DBE is dual slot-1 440BX, btw.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 7 of 29, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2024-03-23, 08:12:
majestyk wrote on 2024-03-23, 07:21:
While working on the TYAN S1662 and waiting for parts, I thought it might be a good idea to have another go at my Supermicro P6D […]
Show full quote

2unknownbufferchips.JPG

See Supermicro P6DNE Dual SKT8 - No Post. Power Connector Mystery

SM P6DNE.jpg

A bit offtopic but I was wondering why the pics from that post were so familiar to me 🤣. That's Topcat from BCN! 😁

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 8 of 29, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote on 2024-03-23, 15:51:

That's Topcat from BCN! 😁

I wonder if he finished the story over there...

Thanks for the link PCH-Patrol - I must have missed this topic completely in 2022. If I remember right, both chips were the same type, so they are both 74F245.
For a start I reconstructed all the traces under ISA slot 2 today and inserted a new ISA socket.

p6dne_isa2.JPG
Filename
p6dne_isa2.JPG
File size
939.96 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
p6dne_isa2a.JPG
Filename
p6dne_isa2a.JPG
File size
1002.15 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 9 of 29, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

He unfortunately didn't. The corrosion on his was way too nasty to begin with. The thread you linked showcased the board after cleanup, but fairly obvious that it was a goner.

file.php?mode=view&id=188907

I do remember commenting on that as I was surprised to hear of VARTA crap on as late as socket 8.

Attachments

Reply 11 of 29, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The traces under ISA slot 3 were restored today and a new socket was soldered into place.
A lot of threading wires through damaged vias was necessary here. I also finished the work on the backside and now I´m starting to prepare the landings for the two tristate busdrivers "74ALS245".

p6dne_back.JPG
Filename
p6dne_back.JPG
File size
1.21 MiB
Views
File license
p6dne_buff.JPG
Filename
p6dne_buff.JPG
File size
1.66 MiB
Views
File license
p6dne_buff1.JPG
Filename
p6dne_buff1.JPG
File size
1.31 MiB
Views
File license

Everything you see can be repaired, what´s making me nervous is what I cannot see, like vias with no trace on the top and no trace on the backside (see yellow circle). These are connected to traces in the inbetween-layers.

p6dne_totc.JPG
Filename
p6dne_totc.JPG
File size
1.15 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 12 of 29, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yersterday I continued the restauration of the buffer landings:

p6dne_buff_U16.JPG
Filename
p6dne_buff_U16.JPG
File size
148.99 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
p6dne_buff_U17.JPG
Filename
p6dne_buff_U17.JPG
File size
333.62 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Hopefully this can help someone in similar cases in the future.

Then the two chips were soldered in.

p6dne_buff_repl.JPG
Filename
p6dne_buff_repl.JPG
File size
1.29 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
p6dne_fin2.JPG
Filename
p6dne_fin2.JPG
File size
1.79 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Of course the mainboard wouldn´t start after that, just hanging with no POST code (----) and the "IRDY" LED constantly lit. At least reset worked.
I then cehecked all address and data (and IRQ, DRQ, DACK...) bus connections between the southbridge and the ISA slots and the respective pins of the BIOS chip - all perfect, no wonder after repairing dozens of them.
Some of the address lines pass the tri-state-buffers U16 / U17, that got replaced so I checked the T/R# and OE pins there. Bingo - the "OE#" input of U16 had no connection to the southbridge. Another destroyed VIA turned out to be the culprit. After threading another wire through it the mainboard came alive again - after three years.

p6dne_boot.JPG
Filename
p6dne_boot.JPG
File size
191.48 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

This was quite a journey...

Last edited by majestyk on 2024-04-02, 12:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 29, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Congratulations ! Awesome effort ~

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 14 of 29, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
majestyk wrote on 2024-03-25, 15:44:
The traces under ISA slot 3 were restored today and a new socket was soldered into place. A lot of threading wires through damag […]
Show full quote

The traces under ISA slot 3 were restored today and a new socket was soldered into place.
A lot of threading wires through damaged vias was necessary here. I also finished the work on the backside and now I´m starting to prepare the landings for the two tristate busdrivers "74ALS245".
p6dne_back.JPG
p6dne_buff.JPG
p6dne_buff1.JPG
Everything you see can be repaired, what´s making me nervous is what I cannot see, like vias with no trace on the top and no trace on the backside (see yellow circle). These are connected to traces in the inbetween-layers.
p6dne_totc.JPG

Amazing job!

Reply 17 of 29, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote on 2024-04-01, 14:19:

This better not be an April fools joke post...

I would have chosen something requiring less effort in this case...
...like having found an unused ASUS P/I-P65UP8 at the local garage sale for $ 5.00 😀

Reply 18 of 29, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 (w/TV out) being found in a shoebox of GPUs 🤣