VOGONS

Reply 21 of 29, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a part of me that wants to put that card into my p65up8, and then use some socket8/slot 1 adapters just for the giggles.

I really should do some tests with that card. see how Celeron chips work, etc.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 23 of 29, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the props!

Turned out the story wasn´t quite over yet. The IDE1 and IDE2 ports didn´t work.
There was an interrupted trace between "INTRQ" of the IDE1 connector and pin 83 of the PIIX (IRQ14).
On the second IDE port there was a corroded / broken trace between the "INTRQ" pin and a 22R resistor (array).
I think it´s just coincidence that in both cases the INTRQ line was affected.
Everything else seems to work for now, but I will continue testing...

p6dne_speedsys.JPG
Filename
p6dne_speedsys.JPG
File size
275.51 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Edit:
While testing all the PCI and ISA slots with different video and soundcards, due to the mechanical "stress" inserting and removing the cards, to original error reappeared. The via that I had repaired lost contact to the inbetween layer trace.
So I bridged the "OE#" input of the tri-state-buffer U16 with a wire to the "SOE#" output of the PIIX (pin 119). Now it´s all stable - again.
I had suspected this would happen, because I hardly got some solder into the totally corroded via the first time.

Reply 24 of 29, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While everything runs stable now and I couldn´t find any further problems, I found a nice way to replace the original VARTA pest-barrel with a - more benign - 3.6V lithium cell.

p6dne_li.JPG
Filename
p6dne_li.JPG
File size
1.96 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

To prevent the lithium cell from being "charged" by the onboard charging circuitry I had to "displace" R890 (510R) a little. This can be reverted anytime, if the original state should be desired.

p6dne_char.JPG
Filename
p6dne_char.JPG
File size
898.04 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Now I´m happy that this quite rare mainboard could be saved.

Reply 25 of 29, by nfraser01

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
majestyk wrote on 2024-04-08, 07:38:

I found a nice way to replace the original VARTA pest-barrel with a - more benign - 3.6V lithium cell.

Anyone who owns an old Macintosh will tell you these are not so benign.... 🙁

Reply 26 of 29, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yea... those cells are even worse.

The upshot is, its easy to remove and slightly better voltage than a 2032.

So long as you remember to disarm the grenade before putting it back in storage....

Reply 27 of 29, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a pair of Apple Quicksilvers since 2002 and the SAFT batteries are still fine. They had to be replaced once, though. Also replaced several in customer Macs - empty, but no damage.

A google search for "SAFT Lithium leakage" returns just pics of healthy cells.

What do these cells do?

Reply 28 of 29, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well, its not the brand, persay.

But those 1/2 AA cells can just nuke a board: https://www.reddit.com/gallery/kpqaof

Maxell and Varta are the big offenders, but they all have a chance to leak over decades.

I dont trust any brand. I dont leave ANY battery in a computer once it goes to storage.

Reply 29 of 29, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote on 2024-04-15, 20:16:

I dont trust any brand. I dont leave ANY battery in a computer once it goes to storage.

I support to strictly abide to this golden rule!

At least the 1/2 or 2/3 AA cells are easy to remove. I use them in cases when the mainboard clock refuses to run properly at 3V (CR2032), even after removing non-necessary diodes or replacing them by Schottkys.