VOGONS

First post, by mistermister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks to all for sharing your interesting finds, the knowledge I am gaining here has allowed me to really enjoy this hobby which has made the past year far more bearable.

I had been considering getting a 486 system for a while, previously my oldest active setup was my Pentium 233MMX (which was my daily driver from 1996-2001). My interest is in a compact desktop 486 for older games and software, not really a mid-90s powerhouse as I feel my Pentium covers that ground. I had a similar 486 back in 1994-5 time frame, prior to that I was an Amiga person. I ended up bidding on two 486s and won both of them, oops.

First one is a Samsung Deskmaster 486C/25. It is a 486slc system so kind of a 486-light, more like a 386 in performance. I will run some benches soon. This PC came in fully working and very clean condition, 8MB RAM, onboard 512K WD video, boots into DOS 6.22 and has WIN3.11 and MS Office on the original 120MB hard drive. This seems like a decent quality, heavy compact little unit (15"x15"x4"). I believe it is from 1993 and would have been marketed as an office PC. Speaking of the hard drive, it was completely full, <100K free space. The oldest files on it were 1997, it looks like it was never used after that, maybe the PC was replaced when the hard drive filled? Best thing was it came with a real SB Pro 2 installed. I have moved the HD contents to a 2GB CF on an IDE adapter with disk overlay software (on track) which went well. I had never used a disk overlay before, the bios only supports up to a 320MB drive. I would like to increase the video memory to 1MB, or get an ISA video card. I'm hoping this will be a decent gamer for 1992 and earlier titles. One problem, I can't find any manual and minimal information online for this one. If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know.

Second one is a Packard Bell 204CD, 486 DX2/66, 3x3 PB case (slightly larger than the Samsung). This one looks a lot like my old 486 which was also a Packard Bell. It came with no HD, and an Aztech/PB sound card. Unfortunately this one usually does not display anything on the screen when powered on, just sits there psu fan spinning. I tinkered with it to the best of my limited ability, and did see a boot screen a couple of times with a memory failure message displayed. Other times I heard beeps after a long wait; 1 long them 3 short. Most of the times the unit powered on but never displayed anything or any beeps. I tried minimal configs, with SIMM removed and with onboard memory disabled. Also tried am external cmos battery. My skills at troubleshooting an oem PC this old with nothing on the display are limited. Just don't have good working parts to swap in for testing. I may send it back (it was sold as working) or try to source a motherboard if I can find a compatible one at a decent price.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Attachments

• PackardBell.jpg
    Filename
    PackardBell.jpg
    File size
    55.55 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Samsung2.jpg
    Filename
    Samsung2.jpg
    File size
    308.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Samsung1.jpg
    Filename
    Samsung1.jpg
    File size
    197 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 3, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

shame about that 2nd PC, it could be all kinds of things - damage to the motherboard, failed capacitors and so on - hopefully it rings a bell with someone on this forum and they can give you some tips

the first pc sounds great though, especially for your intended use and somewhat upgradeable

sometimes worth winning two 'duplicate' bids 😀

Reply 2 of 3, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Long short-short-short can be various things depending on BIOS. Which BIOS is in that PB system depends on motherboard, but iir 486 was usually Phoenix. Problem is Phoenix doesn't have that particular code... AMI and Award do-

AMI: memory issues
Award: no video card
Phoenix has four 'blocks' of beeps, so there would be more to come after the three short beeps. See: https://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/post-beep-codes.htm

But given you did see the RAM error message, I'd suspect RAM. For exact help, you'd need to ID the motherboard - probably a PB430 or PB450. Take a look here: http://uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/pbmb1.htm

I don't quite understand your troubleshooting logic when you say you disabled onboard RAM *and* removed the SIMM. That means no RAM and guaranteed no boot.

What I'd suggest:
1) disable L2 cache, enable onboard RAM, no SIMM. If that doesn't work go to 2)
If that works, enable L2 cache, still with onboard RAM and no SIMM. If that doesn't work, it's a cache problem.
If that works, it's probably your SIMM that's the problem. Play around with FP SIMMs till you find a module and slot that works. EDO will not.

2) disable L2 cache, disable onboard RAM, add a single FP SIMM. If that doesn't work either, it sounds like bad news.
If that works, enable L2 cache. If that doesn't work, cache is bad.
If that does work, onboard RAM is probably your problem. Keep disabled and use compatible FP SIMMs.

Reply 3 of 3, by mistermister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the comments. What I meant was that I separately disabled onboard ram by jumper (using only the simm) and removed the simm with the onboard ram enabled. I believe that the ram is 8mb total, 4mb onboard and one 4mb simm. The motherboard type is PB450. There are sockets for cache chips on the board, they are empty. The video ram expansion sockets are also unpopulated. I can't disable anything in the bios of course, only by jumpers. I might have some compatible ram, will have to dig through my parts for that. I did get an offer from the seller to refund 50% of the purchase, I may take them up on that. I could keep an eye out for a compatible motherboard, but would love to get this one going.

Regards,