VOGONS

First post, by pythno

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I have go a Diamon Monster 3D (Voodoo 1) card in a very good (visually) condition. Unfortunately, when I put the card into one of the PCI slots of my motherboard the
PC won't POST. No beep, no nothing. Just the fans start spinning. I tried this on a CUBX-L with a PIII 1GHz. I know this machine is overpowered for a V1 but regardless, it should
at least post I guess. I tried to reduce the CPU(DRAM)/PCI Bus frequency so the CPU would run at a 500MHz. No luck. I also tried the card on a SR440BX with a PII 400MHz.
Same thing. Also I set the BIOS to not halt on any errors but no POST. Well, the PC doesn't even seem to reach this part of the BIOS code.
And yes, I know the card is a 3D only add-in card. I tried both looping the signal from my AGP card into the V1 and go to my monitor from there and also I directly connected
my monitor into the output of the AGP card.

Does anyone know what to look for in this case?

Best, pythno

Reply 1 of 5, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have this kind of problem with my SS7 board (PC Chips M577). My a-trend voodoo 1 in PCI slot 1 or 2 and it won't boot. In slot 3 or 4 no problem. (Ok this voodoo is misbehaving, but that's another thread)

M to P1 board has PCI problems too sometimes. Insert PCI cards, and the system won't do anything but spin it's fan. No beeps, no disk activity.

Then I just keep switching these pci cards until it boots. And then it works fine.

Is this comparable to your problem?
Did you switch cards to other slots?

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 2 of 5, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You have mentioned the card is in very good visual condition.
Still I recommend checking for bent or disconnected legs especially on the fbi chip again. Those regularly cause the PC to power on but not POST.

Reply 3 of 5, by pythno

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you all for your replies. So after waterbeesje's suggestion I pulled all PCI cards and checked eche PCI slot individually. Then, I checked all the legs of the chips again and indeed, I could see a bent pin on the corner of the FBI. I pulled this leg away from the other slightly, put the card back in and.... the machine starts up just fine! Windows immediately recognized it as Voodoo 1 and I tested it a bit with Tomb Raider 1 with no issues. Picture is a bit blurry though... Thank you very much for your help! Would have been very sad to have a dead V1...
Best, pythno.