VOGONS

First post, by peg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone have a suggestion of a KVM that will switch between DOS/WIN98 and the current Windows 10? I would like to have it support VGA, audio, and PS2 keyboard/mouse?

Reply 1 of 9, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Lindy one, this one to be exact:

https://connectivitycenter.com/wp-content/upl … /07/32921_1.png

I use it with DOS, Win98, XP, Win7 - but of course the OS is irrelevant so long as it supports VGA.

It does audio, also hotkey switching which works well and does not introduce any delay in key presses.

I'm pretty happy with it.

Reply 3 of 9, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use Belkin Omniview switches. They work great. The bigger rackmounted ones don't tend to have audio switching, but the smaller units do.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 4 of 9, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At work we use D-Link DKVM switches. They work with everything. Is there a reason not to?

Though those don't have audio.

Edit.: Though now that I look, there are ones with audio but those don't have USB. KVM-121

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 5 of 9, by aaronchaim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2021-01-27, 01:23:
I have a Lindy one, this one to be exact: […]
Show full quote

I use it with DOS, Win98, XP, Win7 - but of course the OS is irrelevant so long as it supports VGA.

It does audio, also hotkey switching which works well and does not introduce any delay in key presses.

Could you please possibly post a pic of one of the dedicated KVM+audio cables included with this switch? I'm interested in this model but can find no images or specs for the cables online.

Reply 6 of 9, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aaronchaim wrote on 2024-04-06, 03:50:
Show full quote

Could you please possibly post a pic of one of the dedicated KVM+audio cables included with this switch? I'm interested in this model but can find no images or specs for the cables online.

It would be too much of a pain to unplug them to get a better photo, but here is one of them plugged in. They are just VGA plus a mouse+keyboard cable, but the mouse cable also carries stereo out, and the keyboard cable stereo in (they break out on the PC side but are one on the KVM side).

Attachments

Reply 7 of 9, by aaronchaim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2024-04-06, 14:31:
Show full quote

It would be too much of a pain to unplug them to get a better photo, but here is one of them plugged in. They are just VGA plus a mouse+keyboard cable, but the mouse cable also carries stereo out, and the keyboard cable stereo in (they break out on the PC side but are one on the KVM side).

Very interesting and helpful; thank you so much. That's just what I wanted to see/know. Lindy's literature says includes cabling for two PCs, so if connecting PCs to all four inputs assuming you bought the additional cables from them [Lindy].

Reply 8 of 9, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aaronchaim wrote on 2024-04-07, 02:39:

Very interesting and helpful; thank you so much. That's just what I wanted to see/know. Lindy's literature says includes cabling for two PCs, so if connecting PCs to all four inputs assuming you bought the additional cables from them [Lindy].

Nope my unit came with four cables. I have another 4-head KVM (different brand) that also came with 4 cables, so I assumed that was normal. There is a 2-deal Lindy model, maybe the doco was referring to that one.

Reply 9 of 9, by aaronchaim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2024-04-07, 05:05:
aaronchaim wrote on 2024-04-07, 02:39:

Nope my unit came with four cables. I have another 4-head KVM (different brand) that also came with 4 cables, so I assumed that was normal. There is a 2-deal Lindy model, maybe the doco was referring to that one.

Ah, I see now that the listing on Lindy's website does have the same description as another two-port switch of theirs. Makes sense they'd include enough cables to match all ports with such specific breakout cables.

Thanks again for your help with this!