VOGONS

First post, by DrLucienSanchez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good afternoon everyone. Long time lurker, and first time poster, absolutely love the retro/vintage PC scene, and always on the look out for that special something on the classifieds.

Anyway, this concerns the infamous Capacitor Plague.

I recently scored an OEM (Tiny branded) desktop - MS6156 ver 1.0 bx7 mobo (unfortunately it has the AMI bios, not Award, but you can't have everything I suppose) with a Slot 1 Pentium II 400Mhz, and I've upgraded with 320Mb RAM, 20GB SATA HDD via SATA/IDE converter, a Leadtech MX440 64GB (64bit ugh) GPU, ES1373 sound (useless for DOS is looks like, but not too bothered!) and fresh copy of W98SE. It doesn't look like it was booted/used since at least 2004.

I'm very happy with this build, really enjoying it, and using it a lot, but on closer inspection is capped with Chhsi capacitors - on the bad capacitor list. None of them are bulging, venting, look in pristine condition (so far). I've checked the PSU that I took from a old socket 478 build, it works fine, is clean, no bulging caps, no issues with booting, BSODs or anything at all really.

My questions are: Is it highly likely I'll have bulging/venting caps within say, the next year? Is it inevitable? I'm useless with a soldering iron, may see if there's a UK service who will change them for me, but anything I can do to reduce the risk? The PC runs cool, but would it be worth changing the PSU to a newer one? Would that in someway increase the longevity of the caps?

Thanks 😀

Last edited by DrLucienSanchez on 2021-01-27, 16:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Classic rig - MS6156 Ver 1.0 Bx7 Slot1 Motherboard - Pentium II Deschutes 400Mhz, 320MB PC100 RAM, 20GB SATA Toshiba 2.5 via IDE/SATA converter, Intel i740 8Mb AGP, Sun Microsystems 16" CRT Monitor - PN17J0 CRT monitor

Reply 1 of 4, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You should definitely use a PSU that is beyond any doubt - that means a new high quality PSU.

The better the PSU, the cleaner (without AC) the supply voltages for the board, the less heat is produced in the filtercaps on the mainboard, the longer the filter caps on the mainboard will live.
This doesn´t help the caps in any step-down voltage regulators on the motherboard though, since they are loaded with AC components from the step-down circuitry.
So replacing the mobo´s caps should be put on lhe list within the next few years - depending on how frequently the system is used.

Reply 2 of 4, by DrLucienSanchez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah that's brilliant, thanks for the advice. I've only got a Corsair CX500 spare from my retired 2500K build, got it used a few years ago so may be a few years old, but better than that Delta Electronics PSU I have running, although the black colour will not complement the beige and partially yellowed look. I'll change it asap, and get on the look out for a new PSU.

Classic rig - MS6156 Ver 1.0 Bx7 Slot1 Motherboard - Pentium II Deschutes 400Mhz, 320MB PC100 RAM, 20GB SATA Toshiba 2.5 via IDE/SATA converter, Intel i740 8Mb AGP, Sun Microsystems 16" CRT Monitor - PN17J0 CRT monitor

Reply 3 of 4, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Generally speaking caps are the parts with the shortest life span. Most of the time those fail first. Even the good ones can fail at any time after 20 or 30 years. I once worked at a company that repaired industrial electronics like PLCs softstarters and stuff. One of the first thing we did on almost anything that came in was to recap them even if the caps still worked.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 4 of 4, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldn't change anything if the system is still working perfectly. Just be prepaired when things go oopsy.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉