VOGONS

First post, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm going to start by saying, I'm pretty clueless about any computers pre-386 era.

I was given an old Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k by a friend who is currently clearing out his house. He told me that it was working perfectly when he last used it, except that one of the keys had stopped working.

When I tested it earlier today, it would boot to the ©1982 Sinclair screen, but wouldn't respond to any commands from the keyboard.

I carefully opened it to see if I could see anything wrong. I noticed that the larger of the two flex cables (which I now realize are both part of a single membrane) has some fine cracks in it on the bend, the other looks okay, but I imagine both are extremely brittle at this point, so I closed it up again for now.

My question is, how likely is it that it's just the membrane that needs to be replaced? Is there anything else I could check which could help rule out any other issues being at fault?

One thing I noticed is that the startup test pattern shows different random garbage each time the machine is powered on. Is this normal, or could it be a sign that perhaps there's a ram fault?

There's no blinking cursor on startup either. Is this normal?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I'd be more than happy to post photos or videos if it'll help at all.

Thanks in advance. 😀

My Retro Gaming PC:
Pentium III 450MHz Katmai Slot 1
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 1 of 6, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The startup black screen/coloured garbage is an artifact of the fact that the Spectrum shared display memory with main ram. It should be vaguely a black screen, perhaps with the odd coloured cell, but should disappear within a second or thereabouts and give you the Sinclair Research prompt.

Lots of Spectrums have keyboard faults - almost always the membranes and/or the ribbon cable, like you've found out.

The later 48k+ and 128K machines have better (and more robust) keyboards, but they're all fragile to a certain degree - the RAM chips often go, and the expansion port is directly tied to the Z80, so it's easy to damage the processor if the peripheral is not connected properly or accidentally removed whilst powered on.

That said, as with a lot of early 80's machines there are now loads of modern updates for them: native HDMI or VGA out, audio upgrades, flash memory storage etc.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 2 of 6, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
megatron-uk wrote on 2021-01-27, 19:53:
The startup black screen/coloured garbage is an artifact of the fact that the Spectrum shared display memory with main ram. It s […]
Show full quote

The startup black screen/coloured garbage is an artifact of the fact that the Spectrum shared display memory with main ram. It should be vaguely a black screen, perhaps with the odd coloured cell, but should disappear within a second or thereabouts and give you the Sinclair Research prompt.

Lots of Spectrums have keyboard faults - almost always the membranes and/or the ribbon cable, like you've found out.

The later 48k+ and 128K machines have better (and more robust) keyboards, but they're all fragile to a certain degree - the RAM chips often go, and the expansion port is directly tied to the Z80, so it's easy to damage the processor if the peripheral is not connected properly or accidentally removed whilst powered on.

That said, as with a lot of early 80's machines there are now loads of modern updates for them: native HDMI or VGA out, audio upgrades, flash memory storage etc.

Thanks so much for the reply.

The startup screen does disappear pretty quickly. It varies between almost solid black and black stripes with coloured artifacts, but it disappears very quickly so I guess that's normal? After that the standard Sinclair Research prompt shows up.

So I guess its worth my while to buy a replacement membrane then? Don't really know what I'll be doing with the machine in the long run, but I also don't want it to end up collecting dust in my cupboard as it did with the previous owner.

The device itself is in great shape. It came in its box with the original power supply and AV cable. It looks almost new.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 3 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Totempole wrote on 2021-01-27, 20:40:

[...]

Thanks so much for the reply.

The startup screen does disappear pretty quickly. It varies between almost solid black and black stripes with coloured artifacts, but it disappears very quickly so I guess that's normal? After that the standard Sinclair Research prompt shows up.

If it's completely white (well, as close to white as you get with crappy modulated composite...) with black text, then yes, it's normal.

So I guess its worth my while to buy a replacement membrane then? Don't really know what I'll be doing with the machine in the long run, but I also don't want it to end up collecting dust in my cupboard as it did with the previous owner.

The device itself is in great shape. It came in its box with the original power supply and AV cable. It looks almost new.

Not bad. Yes, membranes aren't too expensive and (along with the cable) are indeed first things to go.

If you've never had a Speccy before, don't be surprised at how truly crappy the keyboard really is. There's a reason there was such a big aftermarket for better ones. I'm contemplating building myself a Spectrum 128 kit. After finding that 128 or + cases in good nick are viciously expensive, and faced with the option of building it into a 48k rubber beermat, I went and bought a Cherry MX-compatible keyboard PCB for Spectrum. I suffered through most of the 1980s on Sinclair keyboards, despite a lot of nostalgia, I don't want to suffer like that again.

Reply 4 of 6, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was fortunate enough that my first computer was the 48K+ with the QL-style plastic keys. All my friends had the original dead-flesh rubber key model... oh my that was horrible. Calculator keys on a computer!

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 5 of 6, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got through several of these things back in the day. I had one with a similar problem to the OP. I never fixed it, but worked around the problem by unscrewing the case, pulling the keyboard forward, and resting it at an angle against the base. They keys worked fine then. Clearly, stretching the ribbon cable restored a broken connection somewhere.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 6 of 6, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've confirmed beyond any doubt that it is definitely a faulty membrane. I used probes to input key commands using the membrane as a map and it responds perfectly fine.

It's not that I doubted the membrane was an issue, I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something more serious wrong with it.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA