VOGONS

Leading Edge Model M MP1676L

Topic actions

First post, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just found this in the basement at work. I found some info here https://arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/m/I-L/30486.htm which says it is an 8088 IBM clone. This is way before my knowledge goes with PCs. I really only started tinkering with hardware with my 486 back in the day. Is that a CGA card? I don't have the monitor but it looks like I could connect to a TV with composite? Where the heck does the keyboard plug in? Could this be good for running games from this era?

Attachments

• IMG-0169.JPG
    Filename
    IMG-0169.JPG
    File size
    182.82 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG-0168.JPG
    Filename
    IMG-0168.JPG
    File size
    213.28 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG-0167.JPG
    Filename
    IMG-0167.JPG
    File size
    88.57 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG-0166.JPG
    Filename
    IMG-0166.JPG
    File size
    121.38 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG-0165.JPG
    Filename
    IMG-0165.JPG
    File size
    172.97 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
16MB 72-pin SIMM RAM (2x8MB)
1MB Diamond Speedstar Pro VLB video card
SB 16 Value CT2770
AOpen VI15G Socket 3 Motherboard
HDD/FDD VLB controller card

Reply 1 of 20, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found the keyboard. Plugs in at the front.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    Filename
    unnamed.jpg
    File size
    172.45 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 2 of 20, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice ! Yes could be CGA and yes should be able to a TV but not sure. Can you open it up and get some pictures ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 20, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK. I have opened the beast up. Here are some pics. I need to take it to my office at home to try and connect an old TV to it. I think I might have some kind of component to VGA adapter box at home as well. I wonder if that would let me connect it to a VGA CRT?

Attachments

• IMG-0173.JPG
    Filename
    IMG-0173.JPG
    File size
    282.52 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG-0172.JPG
    Filename
    IMG-0172.JPG
    File size
    316.17 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG-0171.JPG
    Filename
    IMG-0171.JPG
    File size
    332.13 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 5 of 20, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the rebranded version called the Sperry HT PC.
More info here in my original post: Sperry HT PC (XT) - model 3070-03
and here: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.p ... ion-wanted

It does utilise CGA graphics and you therefore require a CGA/EGA monitor or similar device capable to read those signals (if you use the 9-pin connector). The composite out should work on any monitor/TV set that can accept NTSC signals.

I was fortunate enough to find mine with the case and monitor, but no keyboard (would be nice to pair mine with an original 83-key keyboard), but for now I'm using a switchable XT/AT keyboard.

PS: The "M" stands for Mitsubishi. Later on Leading Edge/Sperry used Daewoo to manufacture their later models and hence the name change to "Model D".

Reply 6 of 20, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jesolo wrote on 2021-01-28, 21:26:
I have the rebranded version called the Sperry HT PC. More info here in my original post: Sperry HT PC (XT) - model 3070-03 and […]
Show full quote

I have the rebranded version called the Sperry HT PC.
More info here in my original post: Sperry HT PC (XT) - model 3070-03
and here: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.p ... ion-wanted

It does utilise CGA graphics and you therefore require a CGA/EGA monitor or similar device capable to read those signals (if you use the 9-pin connector). The composite out should work on any monitor/TV set that can accept NTSC signals.

I was fortunate enough to find mine with the case and monitor, but no keyboard (would be nice to pair mine with an original 83-key keyboard), but for now I'm using a switchable XT/AT keyboard.

PS: The "M" stands for Mitsubishi. Later on Leading Edge/Sperry used Daewoo to manufacture their later models and hence the name change to "Model D".

Thanks for that information. I think the monitor may still be in the basement at work here. We are slowly clearing it out and it is a huge area. I did see some monitors down there I will go and have a search. I see yours has the branding "Sperry" on the front. I will keep an eye out for that although I assume it might have had a different monitor.

I found a box of 5 1/4 floppies with games on!

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 8 of 20, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had another look and apart from some more old 5 1/4 disks I did not find the original monitor. There are quite a few down there but they are all from a newer era than what I am looking for. There are some areas I can't get to yet until some more of the junk is cleared though, so maybe. I did find a few Windows 95 era laptops/PCs and pentium motherboards with the CPU in as well. I would rescue them from being thrown away but I already have too much of that stuff stored.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 9 of 20, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rick12373 wrote on 2021-01-28, 22:24:

Had another look and apart from some more old 5 1/4 disks I did not find the original monitor. There are quite a few down there but they are all from a newer era than what I am looking for. There are some areas I can't get to yet until some more of the junk is cleared though, so maybe. I did find a few Windows 95 era laptops/PCs and pentium motherboards with the CPU in as well. I would rescue them from being thrown away but I already have too much of that stuff stored.

As I recall, the Leading Edge monitor does not look the same than the Sperry branded one.

When you do go down there, look for any older monitor with a 9-pin (DE9) connector (as opposed to the 15-pin VGA connector).
If you can't locate the original Leading Edge one, then maybe you can find a suitable replacement.
Just be cognisant of the fact that MDA, CGA & EGA all used the same connector.
EGA monitors can accept CGA signals as well, but not all MDA monitors can.
Most of the older MDA monitors had the three RGB pins missing.

Reply 10 of 20, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, they were all VGA CRTs. I suppose I will have to use the composite connector and a TV.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 11 of 20, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those round MDA connections with the appropriate adapter cable are moderately rare.

Not really sure why the round ttl/ analog hookups existed but most commodore/magnavox screens of the era had them

Reply 12 of 20, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just realized that when I had the case open I didn't look for a CMOS battery. I should have done that to see if it was leaking. Need to open it again to see if I can see it.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 13 of 20, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bad news. I did not see a leaking CMOS battery, I don't think there is any problem there. But I tried turning it on and I could hear the fans spin up etc but then there was a pop and an electrical burning smell. All the fans were still spinning after that but I quickly pulled the power anyway. I opened it up again and can't see what it was that went out. I am not good at electronics repair so I doubt I would be able to fix it anyway. I would like to though. So I am not sure what to do with it now. I would sell it on ebay but as the thing weighs so much I am not sure that is worth doing.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 14 of 20, by rdipaolo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rick12373 wrote on 2021-01-27, 23:27:

I just found this in the basement at work. I found some info here https://arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/m/I-L/30486.htm which says it is an 8088 IBM clone. This is way before my knowledge goes with PCs. I really only started tinkering with hardware with my 486 back in the day. Is that a CGA card? I don't have the monitor but it looks like I could connect to a TV with composite? Where the heck does the keyboard plug in? Could this be good for running games from this era?

This exact model was my 2nd personal computer, after having built a ZX81. The model M was a great machine for its time.

I might be willing to buy your model M with all accessories as I am a retired electrical engineer and can repair whatever is wrong with it ( the burnt item, whatever it is).

I don't have much $$ these days, living on retirement savings and disabled veteran compensation, but make me an offer that can cover shipping (USPS or UPS only please) plus what you want and I will seriously consider it. It would ship to the Ketchikan Alaska area where I now live.

Thank you very much for considering my inquiry!

Very best regards,
Roger

Reply 15 of 20, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rdipaolo wrote on 2021-04-10, 21:04:
This exact model was my 2nd personal computer, after having built a ZX81. The model M was a great machine for its time. […]
Show full quote
rick12373 wrote on 2021-01-27, 23:27:

This exact model was my 2nd personal computer, after having built a ZX81. The model M was a great machine for its time.

I might be willing to buy your model M with all accessories as I am a retired electrical engineer and can repair whatever is wrong with it ( the burnt item, whatever it is).

I don't have much $$ these days, living on retirement savings and disabled veteran compensation, but make me an offer that can cover shipping (USPS or UPS only please) plus what you want and I will seriously consider it. It would ship to the Ketchikan Alaska area where I now live.

Thank you very much for considering my inquiry!

Very best regards,
Roger

I would be open to that. I will try and figure this out next week. I kind of wanted to take the 5 1/4 drive out to put in my 486. Do you already have a spare 5 /14 to put in it? I don't have to keep it though, I could get another one from somewhere else. I am in Idaho, not super far away, but I bet the shipping will still be a lot. Did you want the keyboard as well? That also weighs a lot, the heaviest keyboard I have ever come across actually.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 16 of 20, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As rdipaolo has not replied to me I was wondering if anybody wants this or parts from this machine. I also have a couple of really old IDE controller cards that I found and a couple of boxes of 5 1/4 floppy disks a lot of which seem to have old games on. Preferably somebody near here that can pick them up, although that is less likely. I am in South East Idaho.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 17 of 20, by MrGatoGrande

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rick12373 wrote on 2021-04-21, 15:41:

As rdipaolo has not replied to me I was wondering if anybody wants this or parts from this machine. I also have a couple of really old IDE controller cards that I found and a couple of boxes of 5 1/4 floppy disks a lot of which seem to have old games on. Preferably somebody near here that can pick them up, although that is less likely. I am in South East Idaho.

Hello there,

Did you ever get this sold? I have another Model M but with some parts not working so I'd be interested in yours.

Reply 18 of 20, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrGatoGrande wrote on 2022-10-14, 22:52:
rick12373 wrote on 2021-04-21, 15:41:

Hello there,

Did you ever get this sold? I have another Model M but with some parts not working so I'd be interested in yours.

I have some of the cards from it still. Although the CGA video card was swapped in to another older computer for someone else, but I now have the CGA card from that machine instead. I used the 5 1/2 floppy in one of my machines but I think there are some other cards from it still in my storage. I will have to look if you are interested. Don't have the motherboard though, I am pretty sure it was toast, so it was tossed.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 19 of 20, by MrGatoGrande

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What about the case and the PSU? I'd be interesting on getting those since my PSU seems to be failing on and off. If I can get those I'll buy the rest of the cards from you as well. Also the keyboard.