VOGONS

First post, by Rock8ONE

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! I m very new to this era of pcs, I recently restored a very rusty Compaq 5100 , Pentium 100, 32mb of ram ..this is my first approach to this kind of hardware,
My goal is to install a copy of Windows 98se (I just bought 16mb x 4 sticks of ram that I'm planning to add on the left slots 😁 )
After many days of trying and internet searches I found out that I can't access the bios because it is stored on a partition of the hard drive, which sadly is dead.. (720mb)
So, I somehow managed to create 2 floppys that the pc is able to read, that contains Compaq utilities, a bios-like interface (with mouse support!) ..Anyway with the floppys I should be able to create the bios partition on the new drive (a 5.1gb quantum) .
I tried for hours to configure it, then after some tries I got it working (I think) and after inserting C H S values the system stopped posting the error for the hard drive controller when booting, so I was very happy at this point!

The big problem now ,is that I really have no idea how I should format the drive to make the Compaq utility tool recognise it.. fat and fat 32 doesn't work, is the drive too large? Have I inserted the wrong numbers in C H S ?.. there is also a "maximum ecc " value which I setted to 16.. I m really unsure about that..

Programs used on floppys:
Sp16085
Sp4711
Sp3638

In this video the tool is visible.. :
https://youtu.be/1w_CmCjL2I8

Thanks for your time, sorry if I posted In the wrong section, and thanks a lot if you can help me!

Reply 1 of 12, by CarlosGanhao

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I think that hard drive is too big for that system, it might not be recognized because of that, can’t you get something smaller ? Like 1gb or in that area. I have one Pentium 2 desk pro and it won’t accept more than 8.4gb and a prolinea 486 that won’t accept nothing over 400mb , some compaq can be picky with some hdds.

Reply 3 of 12, by CarlosGanhao

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rock8ONE wrote on 2021-01-28, 12:00:

Thanks! I'm testing a 3.24gb right now, but at startup I get this:

1782-disk controller failure..

I'll try looking for something smaller then I'll post the results!

Yeah that’s normal when they go crazy with the hard drive. I can’t discover what’s the maximum hd for that machine but the specs for the machine always shows that a much lower capacity hdd was supplied with those machines in those days like under 1Gb.

Btw I’ve found one listed on eBay that’s using this hdd: HDD - Seagate ST32122A 2.1GB

So... it detects higher than 1Gb for sure!

Reply 4 of 12, by Rock8ONE

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's perfect, 2gb would be enough for me.. do you think it' s possible to use my 5 GB or 3gb drive formatted as 2gb fat ? Or maybe I just need to get my hands on another one 😀 thanks again

Reply 5 of 12, by CarlosGanhao

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rock8ONE wrote on 2021-01-28, 12:26:

That's perfect, 2gb would be enough for me.. do you think it' s possible to use my 5 GB or 3gb drive formatted as 2gb fat ? Or maybe I just need to get my hands on another one 😀 thanks again

I think not because the bios detects it by specs of the type, but there was some disks later that had a jumper to override that and they would be detected as lower capacity, I have some of those that are like 40gb and have a jumper to have them detected by the bios as a lower capacity.

The original hd is detected? I know it’s faulty but can you see it in the bios?

And were are you located? Can’t you get a cheap 2gb or less on your country? In mine country they are cheap.

Reply 6 of 12, by Rock8ONE

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The original drive is completely dead, it doesn't even spin it just clicks and it s not detected.
The only way I can enter bios is using the floppy.. that should be able to install the bios on a new drive,but it doesn't work.
I m in Italy anyway, drives here are kinda expensive, on eBay vintage 1/2gb drives are sold for 40/50 dollars.. no thanks 😂
I was thinking about a compact flash adapter, but at this point I m super confused, the floppy-bios is able to see the 5gb drive after I configure it 😒..I bet there s something I m missing

Reply 7 of 12, by CarlosGanhao

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rock8ONE wrote on 2021-01-28, 14:33:
The original drive is completely dead, it doesn't even spin it just clicks and it s not detected. The only way I can enter bios […]
Show full quote

The original drive is completely dead, it doesn't even spin it just clicks and it s not detected.
The only way I can enter bios is using the floppy.. that should be able to install the bios on a new drive,but it doesn't work.
I m in Italy anyway, drives here are kinda expensive, on eBay vintage 1/2gb drives are sold for 40/50 dollars.. no thanks 😂
I was thinking about a compact flash adapter, but at this point I m super confused, the floppy-bios is able to see the 5gb drive after I configure it 😒..I bet there s something I m missing

Here in Portugal, they are cheap like 5€
The compact flash adapter is a good solution but it lacks the classical sound of the hdd, but if the drive is seen by the bios try to format it in fat. Max is 2gb per partition . It should work!

Do it with a boot disk and use fdisk to create the partition and format it. When the fdisk asks for “enable high capacity or something like that” just say no. It will create a 2048mb partition, then reboot and with the boot disk start and format it.

Reply 9 of 12, by Rock8ONE

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CarlosGanhao wrote on 2021-01-28, 14:49:
Here in Portugal, they are cheap like 5€ The compact flash adapter is a good solution but it lacks the classical sound of the hd […]
Show full quote
Rock8ONE wrote on 2021-01-28, 14:33:
The original drive is completely dead, it doesn't even spin it just clicks and it s not detected. The only way I can enter bios […]
Show full quote

Here in Portugal, they are cheap like 5€
The compact flash adapter is a good solution but it lacks the classical sound of the hdd, but if the drive is seen by the bios try to format it in fat. Max is 2gb per partition . It should work!

Do it with a boot disk and use fdisk to create the partition and format it. When the fdisk asks for “enable high capacity or something like that” just say no. It will create a 2048mb partition, then reboot and with the boot disk start and format it.

So, after some hours of testing i have to admit that i don't know how to do that, i created a win98se boot disk, tried fdisk .. (after erasing the drive with another pc) it says the max aviable space is 478mb .. i followed the procedre but it doesn't want to boot.. is there a way i can install win98 by copying the setup files in the drive, and then executing the setup with boot disk?

Reply 10 of 12, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure it'll help, but here's some info from the relevant Compaq TechRef QRGs

ProLinea 5100 Hard Drives

ProLinea 5100 Hard Drives.jpg
Filename
ProLinea 5100 Hard Drives.jpg
File size
41.18 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

https://web.archive.org/web/19961226054757/ht … 2/prol5100.html

Hard Drive Matrix

https://web.archive.org/web/19961226055412/ht … 2/appbmatr.html

**Note that some of these drive /system combos may need to support features like Drive Failure Prediction / Cable Select

Reply 12 of 12, by Rock8ONE

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UPDATE [SOLVED!] : after many attempts i was able to install windows 98 on my 5.1gb drive bypassing the low capacity limit of the bios...

the software that saved me is Ontrack Disk Manager
downloadable here: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/ontrack-disk-manager.html

For the people with COMPAQ Prolinea 5100 who wants a windows installation i suggest to:

- create a floppy with the SP16085, to set up the drive (cylinders sectors heads) and to use whenever you need to access the bios.
- create a cd with win98/98se/95 for later.
- create a floppy with Ontrack Disk Manager, boot it, follow the easy procedure (this will format your drive in a particular way, that's a better alternative to FDISK, and it's totally autonomous)
- restart your pc with install CD inserted , press "C" at the ontrack disk manager to start the windows installer.
that's basically it. Windows is installed and you have a way to access the bios!