VOGONS

First post, by draetheus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having a hard time finding new PS/2 compatible mouse options that aren't cheap garbage. Any recommendations? Or just pray for a NOS MX518 that isn't absurdly priced?

Reply 1 of 7, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not very helpful, but I think obsolete hardware with obsolete technology has become cheaper and cheaper over time.

For that I doubt there are many 'better' quality alternatives (and more expensive) available. After all, most modern consumer stuff doesn't have ps/2 any more, usb is the thing to have for at least 15 years... And don't require ps/2 support any more 😀

But I think lots of mice in the £€$5 range are based off 20 year old technology so they probably have a better chance to still have ps/2 support.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 2 of 7, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you're not dead set on a Logitech, there are still some new PS2 mice available for purchase on Amazon and similar places. I have a couple of A4Tech branded mice and they are pretty decent for DOS gaming.

For Win98, I just use a modern USB mouse and keyboard. They work fine, no special drivers required.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Though PS/2 compatibility is no longer advertized and passive USB to PS/2 adapters are no longer bundled, some relatively new (possibly even still in production) USB mice are still PS/2 compatible .

See USB mice still available in retail stores/online with PS/2 protocol compatibility for an example

EDIT: Staples still sells a mouse under that model number. No idea if it is still PS/2 compatible (it might be a newer non PS/2 compatible revision, no way to know without trying it ).

Reply 5 of 7, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I like these Microsoft USB Optical Mice:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SPWCFY/ … 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They work very well, and still compatible with a USB-to-PS/2 adapter (it doesn't come with one, though). I have two of them with one using the adapter for my retro projects. You can also find them in different colors if that's you thing.

Reply 7 of 7, by draetheus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote on 2021-01-30, 08:48:

I have a full size Kensington Pro Fit. It's PS/2 compatible via an adapter.

Bad news, the latest revisions of Kensington Pro Fit do not appear to be PS/2 compatible at all after testing. Should have looked at newegg reviews, as someone else echoed similar results. 🙁