VOGONS

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have threee pci video cards and between the three I’ve been able to get all of them to display at one time or another but they are super picky, the geforce6200 usually works except today when I also have a network card plugged in.

The other two, a gt610 (bridged) and a fx5500 rarely work. It usually has to do with which computer I put them in, which slot, and what other cards are installed at the time.

Is there a bios setting I’m not setting correctly? It sounds like a irq problem or something but I can’t see the bios to fix it and windows isn’t quite on these yet, I had ME on it for a second but forgot to check.

I’m kinda getting fed up with these cards being picky, but they are all I have.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 1 of 4, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What computers are you using with them? "Modern" video cards may require certain CPU features. I have GT520 PCI which seems to not work on CPUs without SSE. So Pentium 3 will be fine, but K6-2 or Pentium 2 will not.

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 3 of 4, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Spitz wrote on 2021-01-29, 09:14:

It may sound funny method to try out but try to change location of each card....

this sometimes works but often isn't a option some have to be in specific locations like the video card has a heatsink and the cables only reach the top slot for the sil0680 card also there is a header by the i/o that wants to short out on some cards. so options are limited

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 4 of 4, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
adalbert wrote on 2021-01-29, 09:08:

What computers are you using with them? "Modern" video cards may require certain CPU features. I have GT520 PCI which seems to not work on CPUs without SSE. So Pentium 3 will be fine, but K6-2 or Pentium 2 will not.

i've tried it on a i5 2500 the 610 caused it not to post the 5500 seemed to be okay, showed up in dev manager but that board wouldn't boot to it never tested video out as I didn't download drivers for it the 6200 worked fine this also didn't work with a few other non video cards it wouldn't post

the core 2 quad seems to work with the 610 but i haven't tried to boot to it same with the 5500 and 6200 but if I install another card it stops working

the iwill p55xb2 only wants to work with the 6200 and doesn't seem to care what i put in with it so much
no combination of the other two vide ocards seems to work
the tyan tomcat I am pretty sure worked once with the 5500 in like the top slot or something but then i put it in the case and the top slot is no longer usable as it is in the atx I/o now so the only one that works again is the 6200 but not when I install the network card.

there are a lot of combos I'm forgetting I've been playing musical chairs with the cards trying to make them work. I don't remember them being this picky back in the day wtf.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-