VOGONS

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had this exact heatsink years ago (not my pic) and was wanting to get two of them for nostalgia reasons and put them on my dual tyan board. Can you guys help me find a name for them to make searching for them on ebay easier. I’ve been looking for a while and kinda struck out.

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 1 of 6, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think you'll find a name or brand for them. A lot of those type of heatsinks are just custom machined from larger sections, probably by a company that got an order for "5000 of the 60mm x 60mm extruded type". Your best bet is to probably try and track down some generic finned heatsinks (not specifically for computer use) and cut to size.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 3 of 6, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rochadb wrote on 2021-01-30, 22:06:

Hi, Try passive heatsink on eBay. For example "socket 7 passive heatsink".

Nothing 🙁

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 5 of 6, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hoping wrote on 2021-01-31, 11:31:

I have an IBM 300GL that has this heat sink "https://www.ebay.es/itm/Dissipateur-Processeu … u0AAOSwbJJe19J0".
Bigger than the one in your photo but fairly similar.

it’s similar but not the exact one . My old one is taller, and you can’t tell easily but it was as much black as it was dark purple

Thanks though :p

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 6 of 6, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-01-31, 12:23:
Hoping wrote on 2021-01-31, 11:31:

I have an IBM 300GL that has this heat sink "https://www.ebay.es/itm/Dissipateur-Processeu … u0AAOSwbJJe19J0".
Bigger than the one in your photo but fairly similar.

it’s similar but not the exact one . My old one is taller, and you can’t tell easily but it was as much black as it was dark purple

Thanks though :p

These heatsinks were quite commonly used by OEMs (and perhaps sometimes some of the 1 man PC builder shops) and would often be accompanied by either generous amounts of TIM (sometimes even with the heatsink being mounted without a clip and just the TIM holding the heatsink in place) or a metallic pad which was supposed to conduct heat from these otherwise already pretty cool running CPUs (usually Intel Pentiums).

I've around a box of these passive heatsinks, I never ever seen these being sold retail or boxed like ever.

They usually have a relatively thin base, so I wouldn't expect them to be great at conducting heat from the CPU even though they might look impressive.
Their tall fins do make them (as I would imagine at least) somewhat more effective at cooling when passively cooled by a case fan or PSU fan.

These anodized aluminium heatsinks seemed to be relatively cheaply made (though still fairly large compared to contemporary CPU heatsinks), but they did come in a lot of pretty colors including the black-like deep purple color you mentioned earlier, but also in green and in blue.

I doubt anyone would even see a market for these heatsinks, but if you really want such a CPU HSF, you could try and keep an eye out for a search tearm something like "anodized heatsink" or "anodized aluminium heat sink" etc.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!