VOGONS

First post, by weriov

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everybody,

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 410CDT running Win98SE that I've recently dusted off and am beginning to play around with for the first time in quite a while. Just for kicks, I decided to see if I could get wireless networking to work on the machine, so after doing some reading, I picked up an SMC WCB-G PCMCIA adapter (my understanding is that the Atheros chipset plays nicely with Win98 and may have WPA2 capability). I got the card this morning and popped it into the slot, but the computer isn't recognizing anything's been inserted; likewise, when I attempt to install the Win98 driver using SMC's packaged setup program, it installs up to the point where it asks me to insert the card, but when I do, it doesn't detect it.

I know the PCMCIA slots on the machine itself are working properly, since I have a Xircom wired Ethernet adapter that works perfectly in either of the two slots (tested before and after I received the WLAN card). Likewise, I know the SMC card works, because slotting it into another laptop running XP worked just fine (the card gets detected, drivers install, and WLAN functions as expected). I also tried docking the laptop into a port replicator I similarly know works properly, and that didn't produce a result either. I've tried every combo of booting the computer with/without the card in, trying to have Win98's hardware wizard detect the card manually, etc. - but, no luck.

Does anyone have any ideas I might try on this? I'm hoping I'm missing something super-obvious and there's a quick and easy fix, but I'll give just about anything a shot to get this thing working. If it doesn't end up being functional, it's certainly no big deal, but I feel like there's gotta be something that'll unlock the mystery here.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 2, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the SMC card is a 32 bit Cardbus card for 3,3V and the PC-Card slot of the Notebook has a 16 bit PC-Card slot with 5V only there can be problems. But in this case, because there are keys at the sockets, it should not be possible to insert it.

You could try with a Linux live CD if the combination notebook/card works at all.

Last edited by majestyk on 2021-01-30, 19:15. Edited 2 times in total.