VOGONS

First post, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently got a 890GXM-G65 socket AM3 mainboard. I don't have any AM3 CPUs but plenty of AM2s.
Can I try the board with an AM2 CPU or not?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    356.87 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    AM3 board
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 10, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Still not convinced, people say they are not pin compatible. So will an AM2 Athlon 64 3000+ work in this board?
I don't want to fry anything.

Reply 5 of 10, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not trolling but I want to make sure. That's my only AM3 board. I'd rather ask stupid questions than regret ruining the board later.

Reply 7 of 10, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

from wikipedia:

"Socket AM3 processors are able to run on Socket AM2 and AM2+ motherboards with appropriate bios updates, but not vice versa. AM3 processors have a new memory controller supporting both DDR2 and DDR3 SDRAM, allowing backwards compatibility with AM2 and AM2+ motherboards. Since AM2 and AM2+ processors lack the new memory controller, they will not work on AM3 motherboards."

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 10 of 10, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought a 95watt phenom ii x6 1055t for $40 from The Bay awhile back for a similar motherboard to upgrade a Athlon ii x250. Absolutely killer performance increase for the $ for modern web usage and GTA 5 and the like that dont require SSE 4.2 or whatever it is that all the newer games are requiring.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1