VOGONS

First post, by Albercik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello All!

Recently, I've built a PC running a Pentium 166MMX processor on a Powertech MB532 motherboard (AT format). The problem is that there is almost no information on the internet regarding this mobo and I have a serious problem: it seems that my COM ports are not working. The mobo has its own controller with 10-pin headers for COM1 & COM2. I've bought a RS232 ports with a 10-pin connectors (both are DB9) and connected it to mobo.

The problem is that I can't get my mouse to work. It's been tested on another computer and it's working fine, but it's not detectable on my new toy. I've doble-checked my bios settings (not much to set - I just can enable or disable onboard com ports), the drivers in Windows are installed without any any warnings etc. I have no idea if the settings in the device manager are correct, but I've left them default. I've even installed a MS Mouse driver, but its not detecting a mouse during boot (from autoexec.bat).

My PC is running a Windows 98 SE.

Do you know if there could be a different pinouts for COM port header on the motherboard between the manufacturers or is this a standard? Maybe I'm missing something different?

And please - do not advise my to buy a PS/2 mouse as my PC ain't got no PS/2 ports 😉

Thank you in advance,
Tom

Last edited by Albercik on 2021-02-02, 08:56. Edited 1 time in total.

P MMX 166MHz, 64 MB, S3 Trio64V2/DX, SB Vibra 16 ISA, 40GB HDD
P III 650MHz, 640 MB, nVidia Riva TNT2, SB 16 ISA, 120GB HDD
486 DX2 66MHz, 16 MB, Trident TVGA8900C, SB Vibra 16 ISA, 2GB CF

Reply 1 of 11, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I belive there are two types of COM port headers, there's a chance that your COM port brackets are wired for one type while your motherboard has the 2nd type.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 2 of 11, by Albercik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Vynix wrote on 2021-02-01, 00:04:

I belive there are two types of COM port headers, there's a chance that your COM port brackets are wired for one type while your motherboard has the 2nd type.

Thatnk you, I didn't know that. I hope my mouse didn'got fried because of this...

Is there any way to re ognize which RS232 is which? It seems that I'll have to buy two new ports, but I have no idea how to check if they're going to be okay this time...

After a while of thinking - isn't the diffrence visible as a blind pin in the IDC connector? I've seen many COM now on google and the only major difference I've spotted was that IDC connector had either 10 pins or 9 pins (and 10th is blind).

Reply 3 of 11, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are indeed two types of connectors (both use 9 pins):
1. The more regular one
2. The one I call the "Supermicro" type, because Supermicro used it but others as well.

There´s no difference at the mainboard connector side, you only have to make sure Pin1 of the cable(red) sits at Pin 1 of the mainboard connector.

But when you remove the hood over the socket at the bracket (disassemble it) you can see the difference. The 9 wires are either connected row by row or "zig zag".
Just take a picture.
If you have the most basic soldering skills, you can resolder the connectors.
The problem when you buy these things is you don´t know what you´re gonna get in most cases. Using the wrong version usually doesn´t do any damage to the connected peripherals.

Here´s some additional info:
https://strugglers.net/~andy/blog/2015/06/19/ … serial-headers/

Reply 4 of 11, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Header on the motherboard is numbered either

1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9

or

1 3 5 7 9
2 4 6 8

Usually you can see

or

in the side, that will tell you which variant you have

Reply 5 of 11, by Albercik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Guys!

As usual - your help is irreplacable 😀 My motherboard ain't got no pin numbers for COM port header. The only way I can tell where pin1 should go is because there's a rectangle surrounding the header and one of the "walls" is thicker than the other ones as can be seen on the below photo:
Powertech-MB532-Ver-10-Socket-7-Motherboard-Intel-_57.jpg

This is almost identical mobo to mine (it's Powertech MB532 as mine), but this one is equipped with PS/2 ports onboard and mine is not.

It's a shame that the Internet lacks of documentation for this motherboard, but I'll to figure this out by myself (with your help 😉 ).

BTW is there any way I can verify the pin layout using a multimeter (eg. by looking for 5V and GND or similar)?

Reply 6 of 11, by Albercik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
evasive wrote on 2021-02-01, 08:37:
[…]
Show full quote
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9

Ok, I've checked my serial port and it seems that this is the layout of mine COM port. Now, how can I tell if this is the correct pin layout for my mobo?

Tom

Reply 7 of 11, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems like pin 1 for COM header is upper right - manual here:

Attachments

• Filename
    MB532_manual(1).zip
    File size
    1.06 MiB
    Downloads
    35 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • 05.jpg
    Filename
    05.jpg
    File size
    77.51 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 8 of 11, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Keep in mind that the pinouts of the motherboard sockets are mirror images of the 10-pin plugs on the adapter cables.
Finding the ground pin is the simplest way to determine which type of motherboard you have but I am not sure if you can do that with a multimeter.
Maybe this image helps:

DTK3a.jpg
Filename
DTK3a.jpg
File size
61.24 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 11, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ydee wrote on 2021-02-01, 16:22:

Seems like pin 1 for COM header is upper right - manual here:

As I see it, pin 1 is on the upper LEFT - as usual.

Checking the position of the GND pin is a good idea.
But we still don´t know which version the current adaptor supports. There´s no way around opening the connector at the slot plate.

Reply 11 of 11, by Albercik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Guys, you're genious!

I've took my COM port out of the case, and checked it (as I've wrote in previous post). It turned out, it has a "supermicro" pin layout (1 6 2 7 3 8 4 9 5).

Next, I've found some old COM port in my basement and checked it - pin layout is 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9. Should work, but... it had 9-pin mobo connector (the 10th pin is blind).

So, I've disassembled both connectors and swapped them. Unfortunately - the supermicro com port has not soldered ribbon cable, so resoldering it was not an option. Thankfully - after swapping the connectors, my mouse started to work out of the box!

I wouldn't accomplish that mission without your help, so biiig thank you All!!