VOGONS

First post, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I managed to snag this interesting early 430FX Socket 5 motherboard a while back. I'm still looking for an updated BIOS, or maybe a generic-enough MR BIOS that may work. There's one big catch to this board: there's no onboard super-I/O chip! Most if not all 430FX boards I know of, use some form of super-I/O chip to control the floppy, parallel and serial ports, but this odd duck doesn't have that, offering only two PCI IDE connectors along with four ISA and four PCI slots. So, I have to use an ISA paddle card to provide the missing stuff. Talk about an awkward Socket 5 board.

Anyway, I've dumped the BIOS that came with it. It's VER:1.0 11/05/95 according to the BIOS sign-on.

Filename
Zida 5DIL - AmiBIOS VER-1.0 11-05-95.ROM.zip
File size
102.17 KiB
Downloads
28 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 1 of 9, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the bios dump !

Can you shoot a nice photo of your motherboard so we can add it here ? http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/6254

Last edited by Deksor on 2021-02-01, 10:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 9, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally, a picture of the board:

Zida Tomato 5DIL.jpg
Filename
Zida Tomato 5DIL.jpg
File size
1.59 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 4 of 9, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

oh that's too bad, the board is out of the frame 🙁

Sorry for being picky about this, but I prefer to have good enough photos (other than being out of frame, the photo is ok !)

If it was just for the left corner with the KBC I wouldn't mind too much, but here the part on the right is missing too many details.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 5 of 9, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

...Is this any better?

Zida Tomato 5DIL.jpg
Filename
Zida Tomato 5DIL.jpg
File size
1.65 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Also, did you add what little I was able to dig up on the Prolink P386SX-25PW?
In the absence of proper documentation I'll have to 'experiment' with the jumper settings to determine what the ones not described by the P386SX-16/20C do.

Reply 7 of 9, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah it's not a bad board. Not the fastest but it's pretty solid stuff, just got to be mindful of the caps Zida put too close to the CPU socket fan clips. I worked around those caps by replacing them with caps mounted on the backside of the board.

Reply 8 of 9, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks, the second photo is perfect 😀

For your other 386SX board, I don't think I did ... Can you link me where you did the content or (if you have the time) make a summary of all the infos ? I go through so many motherboards that I sometimes forget to add them.

Edit : photo added to the page 😀

Reply 9 of 9, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote on 2021-02-07, 11:41:

I go through so many motherboards that I sometimes forget to add them.

We added 2000 of them to UH19 alone since last november I think, so yeah.