VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I never had an Intel PC beyond Socket 370, but now I'm trying my hand at building a fast Win98 PC using the LGA775 platform. My question is whether an above average 300W PSU from the Socket A era cut it for a system like this:

Intel Core2Duo E4600
Radeon X850PRO PCIe
ESS Solo1 PCI
2GB RAM
1 Optical
1 HDD
1 FDD
1 80mm Fan

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 8, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know much about the kind of PSU you have, but a decent quality 300W PSU should definitely be plenty. I run my X800XT (AGP) and Prescott with a 350W PSU.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 3 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know much about the kind of PSU you have, but a decent quality 300W PSU should definitely be plenty

You use i865G AGP motherboard with ATX12V 2.0 PSU.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2021-02-02, 10:41. Edited 2 times in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 8, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-02-02, 10:36:

I don't know much about the kind of PSU you have, but a decent quality 300W PSU should definitely be plenty

You use i865G AGP motherboard.

I know. I'm the one who uses it.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 5 of 8, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Your question can't be answered reliably without knowing the specific PSU you have in mind. However a decent current 300W PSU will cut it while probably being more energy efficient, quieter and more reliable. I also think the PCIe version of the X850 Pro needs a 6pin PCIe power connector for which you'd have to get an adaptor with older PSUs. Buying a new PSU just makes a lot of sense here.

The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-02-02, 10:23:

No, you need ATX12V 2.0+ PSU with 20+4 pin ATX connector.

Three counter arguments:
1: ATX 2.0 was introduced in early 2003. You could buy ATX 2.0 PSUs within the Socket A era.
2: With many motherboards the four extra pins are optional.
3: There are adaptors.

Reply 6 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Additional ATX 4 pins are reserved for +12v rail, which is not strong point of old ATX standards.

You could buy ATX 2.0 PSUs within the Socket A era.

No. Introduction and adoption of standard is two separate things. Unless you've acquired some early adopter workstation/server with two Xeons.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 7 of 8, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-02-02, 14:21:

Additional ATX 4 pins are reserved for +12v rail, which is not strong point of old ATX standards.

I disagree. The extra four pins carry +12V, +5V, +3.3V and ground. They feature +5V and +3.3V because they replace the 6pin AUX power connector.
The P4 connector is for only +12V (and ground). Since P4 systems relied on the +12V rail to create Vcore Intel released the ATX / ATX12VPower Supply Design Guide in early 2000. This design guide requires a 300W PSU to be able to deliver continuous 15A (18A peak) on the 12V rail, which is enough for the system described here. Many good PSUs were capable of delivering higher currents.
The Enermax EG301AX-VE (G) would be a popular (at least around here) example of a good 300W ATX12V 1.2 PSU from 2002 that will deliver 22A@+12V.

The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-02-02, 14:21:

You could buy ATX 2.0 PSUs within the Socket A era.

No. Introduction and adoption of standard is two separate things. Unless you've acquired some early adopter workstation/server with two Xeons.

The socket A era does not abruptly end with the introduction of S754. People were regularly using Athlon XP systems well into Windows Vista times. CPUs and motherboards were still being sold in 2005. The last new cooler designs for Socket A are from 2004. By all definitions (common use, sales, new designs) the Socket A era spans at least into 2004. You could 100% buy ATX12V 2.0 PSUs in regular computer parts shops in 2004.

Reply 8 of 8, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just went with a later 450W PSU (FSP built OEM rebranded as ISO) with a 20+4 ATX connector and the 4-pin 12V connector. It has some slightly bulged caps but seems to work fine so far. I will recap it later, or just buy a cheap new 350W PSU for the purpose.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.