VOGONS

Can't install XP (Dell Vostro 200)

Topic actions

First post, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, I earlier today dug out a Dell Vostro 200 SFF PC from my closet and I'm trying to install XP. The CD boots fine but when it comes to the partition manager screen I can't do anything. It should recognize the keyboard, but it doesn't. I would attempt to plug in a PS/2 keyboard, BUT the computer doesn't have one. Yeah a computer from 2007 doesn't have PS/2 ports when even motherboards from the past few years still occasionally have one.

Reply 1 of 20, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1) Try another keyboard
2) Try another Windows disk

I recently had problems getting Windows XP Pro SP3 to install on one of my machines. The problem disappeared when I switched to SP2 installation media.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 2 of 20, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Being SFF they did not have room on the motherboard for the PS2 kb and mouse is my guess. Do not use the front panel USB for keyboard ! Use one on back near the Ethernet.
From manual: "It is recommended that you use the back USB connectors for devices that typically remain connected, such as printers and keyboards."
Have you tried to get in the BIOS (F2 during boot up) ? How many USB kb have you tried ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 20, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Errius wrote on 2021-02-03, 01:53:

1) Try another keyboard
2) Try another Windows disk

I recently had problems getting Windows XP Pro SP3 to install on one of my machines. The problem disappeared when I switched to SP2 installation media.

1) I don't have another usb keyboard to spare

2) Sadly I just have the one image and I know it works in a VM. Maybe I should try to cd I burned in a VM? Then again, anyburn said it passed the verification test.

Horun wrote on 2021-02-03, 01:56:

Being SFF they did not have room on the motherboard for the PS2 kb and mouse is my guess. Do not use the front panel USB for keyboard ! Use one on back near the Ethernet.
From manual: "It is recommended that you use the back USB connectors for devices that typically remain connected, such as printers and keyboards."
Have you tried to get in the BIOS (F2 during boot up) ? How many USB kb have you tried ?

I've been using the back usb connectors. I've been able to get into the BIOS and change settings. In fact I did previously use the same setup and (stupidly) installed Windows 10 despite it only having 1GB of RAM (I thought it had 2GB since that was what I was told)

Reply 4 of 20, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Odd ! The G33 chipset supports USB 2.0 so nearly any USB KB should work. Just for shits-n-grins try one of the front ones. If that does not work then your XP media does support Intel USB 2.0 in "install mode" which is very weird for XP SP3...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 20, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

2007 seems to be the point where Dell decided that Legacy ports were no longer necessary. All the Inspiron 530's Iv worked on are all legacy free minus a floppy connector.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 7 of 20, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd try to boot another OS (linux comes to mind) to rule out hardware issues. I'd also try connecting the mouse and keyboard to the ports that are just under the ethernet port. I have a Dell Inspiron 531 (also from 2007, also without PS/2 ports) and for whatever reason, keyboard and mouse prefer to be connected there. Finally, trying a different XP image does not hurt.

Reply 8 of 20, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2021-02-03, 02:40:

Odd ! The G33 chipset supports USB 2.0 so nearly any USB KB should work. Just for shits-n-grins try one of the front ones. If that does not work then your XP media does support Intel USB 2.0 in "install mode" which is very weird for XP SP3...

Sadly that did not work.

Errius wrote on 2021-02-03, 02:57:

Look in the BIOS and see if there's a 'legacy mode' option for USB peripherals.

There is no legacy mode option.

aha2940 wrote on 2021-02-03, 03:04:

I'd try to boot another OS (linux comes to mind) to rule out hardware issues. I'd also try connecting the mouse and keyboard to the ports that are just under the ethernet port. I have a Dell Inspiron 531 (also from 2007, also without PS/2 ports) and for whatever reason, keyboard and mouse prefer to be connected there. Finally, trying a different XP image does not hurt.

It works fine in Linux (though it is slow since it only has 1GB of RAM). Also, I don't have any other xp images.

Reply 9 of 20, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retrogamerguy1997 wrote on 2021-02-03, 03:59:
aha2940 wrote on 2021-02-03, 03:04:

It works fine in Linux (though it is slow since it only has 1GB of RAM). Also, I don't have any other xp images.

Well, since you are trying to install Windows XP, I assume you already have a valid license for it. If so, then you may get another XP image from the web (archive.org seems to work) and try with that. If it works, then bingo! if not then at least you tried. Another option to try would be resetting the BIOS of the machine to factory default. Curiosity question: did the machine originally came with WinXP? or Vista? (look for the Windows sticker with the key printed).

Reply 10 of 20, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you check the Dell support forum, you'll see loads of help requests relating to the Vostro 200 & non-working USB ports. There never seemed to be an official answer, but the unofficial ones included updating the BIOS, anti-virus conflicts, issues with USBSTOR and USB back port hierarchy (supposedly bottom left keyboard / bottom right mouse). Do you have a W7 install you could try - apparently it is supported in the main?

Reply 11 of 20, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Make sure SATA in BIOS is set to ATA not AHCI mode.
Generic XP CD's don't have the drivers to support AHCI mode. Normally if this isn't set correct you get a message about no hard drives found but maybe you PC is just hanging for whatever reason?
You can try the mouse or seeing if the caps lock led turns on and off to double check if it's hung.

if/when you get past this you can create a driver floppy disk or use something like nlite to create a XP CD with the sata drivers if you wanted

Reply 12 of 20, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aha2940 wrote on 2021-02-03, 04:19:

Well, since you are trying to install Windows XP, I assume you already have a valid license for it. If so, then you may get another XP image from the web (archive.org seems to work) and try with that. If it works, then bingo! if not then at least you tried. Another option to try would be resetting the BIOS of the machine to factory default. Curiosity question: did the machine originally came with WinXP? or Vista? (look for the Windows sticker with the key printed).

The machine did originally come with XP. I might be able to try another image later, but idk if it will actually work.

PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-02-03, 05:12:

If you check the Dell support forum, you'll see loads of help requests relating to the Vostro 200 & non-working USB ports. There never seemed to be an official answer, but the unofficial ones included updating the BIOS, anti-virus conflicts, issues with USBSTOR and USB back port hierarchy (supposedly bottom left keyboard / bottom right mouse). Do you have a W7 install you could try - apparently it is supported in the main?

I could install Windows 7, but it's a bit of a tight squeeze when there in only 1GB of RAM and kinda defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to do.

chinny22 wrote on 2021-02-03, 09:36:
Make sure SATA in BIOS is set to ATA not AHCI mode. Generic XP CD's don't have the drivers to support AHCI mode. Normally if thi […]
Show full quote

Make sure SATA in BIOS is set to ATA not AHCI mode.
Generic XP CD's don't have the drivers to support AHCI mode. Normally if this isn't set correct you get a message about no hard drives found but maybe you PC is just hanging for whatever reason?
You can try the mouse or seeing if the caps lock led turns on and off to double check if it's hung.

if/when you get past this you can create a driver floppy disk or use something like nlite to create a XP CD with the sata drivers if you wanted

As I said I more or less implied it is in IDE mode and detects the drive. It's just that no key presses work.

EDIT: pressing caps lock doesn't seem to activate the LED for it.

Reply 13 of 20, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If nothing else works, these guys claim to have the original XP restore discs for your machine: https://restorecd4u.com/home/923-dell-vostro- … of-4-xpp32.html
I have no idea if they are reliable or maybe some scam, though.

Reply 14 of 20, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I burned a Dell OEM image from archive.org and attempted to use that, but I end up with the same issue. Maybe I need to slipstream USB drivers?

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-02-05, 04:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 20, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I rather replace the dell pc with another especially SFF Optiplex or HP SFF using core 2 duo socket.

Dell sometimes do very very crazy things with consumer than business line computers.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 16 of 20, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-02-04, 16:27:

I rather replace the dell pc with another especially SFF Optiplex or HP SFF using core 2 duo socket.

Dell sometimes do very very crazy things with consumer than business line computers.

Cheers,

Unfortunately, I really don't have any money to buy another system or even build one reusing the CPU and HD from the vostro.

I have other xp-era PCs in the closet, but I doubt the PSU in my P4 rig still works and shit I have no clue about the Athlon XP Compaq Presario either. Also, I would have to replace the gpu in the p4 rig anyways since the gpu doesn't have a working cooler (the fan snapped off and is cracked)

Reply 18 of 20, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-02-04, 21:09:

Reuse the power supply in other P4 PC. They are usually 320W.

Cheers,

I don't think the dell's SFF power supply will work with my P4 system letalone sit properly in an ATX case

Reply 19 of 20, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-02-04, 21:09:

Reuse the power supply in other P4 PC. They are usually 320W.

Cheers,

+1 and may I add that between the Dell, the P4 and your Athlon XP Compaq you have a good combination of parts to throw a XP box together. Could you post the specs of em?

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1