VOGONS

First post, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,
I got two Radeon HD 3850. One of them makes weird things...
When I reboot my machine almost every second reboot I got green flickering stripes on my screen. As soon as desktop is loaded, the screen looks normal.
When I turn the PC off and turn it on again, there are no problems... I really don't know what's that... To me it looks like a defective DVI port. The second one works without any errors...

ujaaibqi.jpg

Maybe this is easily fixable? But I think it is not... Any ideas on that?

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 1 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do both HD 3850 have same exact Video BIOS ?
Some (very few) boards/bios + vid cards/video bios do not proper reset on a cold start or warm reboot. Have a newer PCIe that will make saw tooth patterns on rare occasion on a cold start but never on a reboot on one specific motherboard.
Your issue seems to be opposite but am thinking they are related in same way.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 8, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know if I understood you correctly. But I got a little hope that I can fix it...

No the other card works well on both ports... The one with the error is the sapphire model - but there is an aftermarket cooler installed zalman vf700 or so... The one that works well is the powercolor model.

I don't understand how the bios can cause these problems. And how can it be checked? Why does it occur every first time I reboot... But not the second time...? Like something isn't initialized that's needed... Just a guess
It would be really nice to get it fully working again... 🙈

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 3 of 8, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh my God... Maybe the card is ok completely... I just exchanged the DVI cable and after about 20 reboots the error doesn't occur. That would be great news... Will test it in depth this evening.. I have high hopes

Reply 4 of 8, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok .. after many tests... 5 different cables... Both ports... Shortly suspecting the Monitor to be broken... It seems clear... Something's definitely wrong with the first port if the graphics card. But I really don't know why this error comes every second soft reboot. This is ..... I don't know...
Should I try flashing the latest original bios?

Reply 5 of 8, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you are handy with the soldering iron? Try re-flowing all of the pins on the connector with some leaded solder.

Repeated connections over the years often weaken the joints.

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 6 of 8, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
texterted wrote on 2021-02-07, 03:15:

If you are handy with the soldering iron? Try re-flowing all of the pins on the connector with some leaded solder.

Repeated connections over the years often weaken the joints.

Unfortunately I am not...
Or better: I don't know if I am - I never tried.

But I am still wondering why this occurs so regularly

Reply 7 of 8, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I wouldn't learn using a piece of hardware that you care about!

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 8 of 8, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lazar81 wrote on 2021-02-06, 22:22:

Ok .. after many tests... 5 different cables... Both ports... Shortly suspecting the Monitor to be broken... It seems clear... Something's definitely wrong with the first port if the graphics card. But I really don't know why this error comes every second soft reboot. This is ..... I don't know...
Should I try flashing the latest original bios?

Hello again... I went on trying this for days and days... It took a while for the easiest idea to come to my mind. I just tried another monitor. After days of excessive rebooting the error doesn't occur... Back to the former monitor brought back the error immediately.