VOGONS

First post, by DamienC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.

I've got this old Epson Actionnote 500C laptop running well after some repairs. Now I've been trying to squeeze a little more performance out of this thing. It's got a Cyrix 486SLC2-50 CPU.

I'm using the Cyrix utility that came with the CX486SRX2 upgrade chip to get the cache enabled and play with cpu registers. It runs pretty well in the context of basically a clock doubled 386SX with a little cache, but I get the feeling it should be running a little better. The anemic Cirrus Logic 6235 VGA chip doesn't help performance I think.

I've been basically running it with cache enabled, pipeline enabled, and 640k-1mb region set to non-cacheable (I get corrupt graphics in games if I don't do this last thing).

Topping out at 62 in Topbench with these settings. Is there anything else I can change to maybe bump up the performance slightly?

I was playing with a similar setup in PCem and even with a "slow 8-bit" VGA card setup Topbench was in the high 70s-low 80s score range, although I don't know how much that score is skewed being an emulator and all.

Reply 1 of 4, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a cirrus Isa card with the gd610 chip and it’s actually not that bad.
It was in a Portable PC.
Played Doom well on 486.

I think the issues with Slow CPU are more limiting.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 2 of 4, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Laptops generally aren't meant for performance (even today). So there are many bottlenecks from the system bus to memory bandwidth.

Run the usual benchmarks (3dbench, doom, speedsys) and then we can comment on your ratings.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 3 of 4, by DamienC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Used Phil's 386 benchmarks. Also listing my desktop 386DX-40 system for reference.

Epson ActionNote 500C (Cyrix 486SLC2-50, Cirrus Logic CL-6235 512kbb 4mb RAM):

Superscape 14.2
PCPlayerBench 3.6
Landmark CPU 196MHz AT
Landmark Vid 3389.79
Topbench 62
SI Computing Index 66.2

386DX Desktop (Biostar MB1340-AEQ-K, AMD 386DX-40, Cirrus Logic CL-5429 1mb, 8mb RAM):

Superscape 14.7
PCPlayerBench 3.8
Landmark CPU 66.48MHz AT
Landmark Vid 3043.47
Topbench 84
SI Computing Index 41

Not too much difference between the two.