VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It seems my last IDE DVD-ROM is dead. I am building an LGA775 system on a VIA P4M890 motherboard. If I were to use a SATA drive would it play ball witn Win 98SE? Do I have to set it to IDE mode for this?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 3, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If your BIOS assigns SATA ports as "Compatible" or "Legacy" IDE devices, then Win98's defualt 32-bit drivers won't know the difference for both hard drives and optical drives.

If the BIOS only treats the SATA ports as "Native SATA" or "AHCI", then the default Win98 32-bit drivers won't work. I've had good luck with Rloew's AHCI driver for Win98, but not with his SATA driver.

Your best bet is to assign "Compatible" or "Legacy" IDE mode to the SATA controller.

Reply 2 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Think the soundcard will need to use the wdm rather then vxd drivers for redbook audio unless you have one of those rare sata drives that also have a cd audio cable.
I may be wrong as don't have this setup

Reply 3 of 3, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chinny22 wrote on 2021-02-10, 10:21:

Think the soundcard will need to use the wdm rather then vxd drivers for redbook audio unless you have one of those rare sata drives that also have a cd audio cable.
I may be wrong as don't have this setup

This indeed, and unfortunately, true.

I will be using a Terratec 128i ESS Solo-1 which has WDM drivers as far as I can remember, though.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.