VOGONS

First post, by cnpr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello all i recently changed the motherboard and im running into a black screen. i put in a geforce 4200ti but after i installed the via agp driver(from 4.35) and installed nvidia 45.23 i keep getting a black screen and it hangs. are there any drivers out there that are compatible with the nvidia 4200ti? I have tried it with a geforce 2 mx with same driver and apg driver. work without issues.

board is a p3v4x with a piii @933

Reply 1 of 11, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you've just put in another motherboard, into an existing 98 build? Probably time for a clean install.

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 2 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cnpr wrote on 2021-02-08, 01:48:

hello all i recently changed the motherboard and im running into a black screen. i put in a geforce 4200ti but after i installed the via agp driver(from 4.35) and installed nvidia 45.23 i keep getting a black screen and it hangs. are there any drivers out there that are compatible with the nvidia 4200ti? I have tried it with a geforce 2 mx with same driver and apg driver. work without issues.

board is a p3v4x with a piii @933

Are you perhaps using the TI 4200's DVI output with a modern HDMI monitor that is capable of resolutions that exceed 162MHz bandwidth (the limit for single link DVI) and using the Geforce 2 MX over analogue VGA output?

I ask this because I had similar behavior on both an FX 5900 and an TI 4200 when using DVI output on modern monitors that have HDMI inputs and support higher resolutions than what the video card can output . I had to use an EDID emulator with custom resolutions programmed to work around this issue .

The reason I believe this happens is, IMHO, because of a bug/limitation in the Windows drivers for these cards . In a nutshell :
1) the cards support single link DVI which tops off at 1920x1200@60Hz (with reduced blanking) which requires 162MHz of bandwidth .
2) the monitor EDID exposes a native resolution/refresh rate combination that requires more than 162MHz (i.e. 4K, 1920x1080 at more than 60Hz, etc)
3) the Windows driver is programmed to default to monitor native resolution as read from EDID, but does not take into account that the monitor has a resolution that the video card simply cannot output over DVI and you end up with a black screen, no signal, out of range, etc

The EDID emulator workaround works because it exposes to the card/driver only resolutions that it can actually support over DVI .

For more details, see :
Re: 70Hz in pure DOS at 1600x1200 (or other) over DVI on an old card (FX5900) with modern monitor is possible
Re: Widescreen monitors and 4:3 aspect ratio compatibility thread

If this does scenario does not fit your use case/symptoms, my apologies, I was on a roll .

EDIT: If the TI 4200 was working with the same monitor before you changed the motherboard, the scenario described obviously does not apply .

Reply 3 of 11, by cnpr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

it does have a dvi out put but im using the vga port(have to since i have a voodoo 2 in sli). the monitor is a dell monitor but i dont know the model number but i do know it goes up to 1600 by 1200. i currently got the monitor setting at 1024 by 768. and i just fresh installed many times today but no luck. i do have a ati 9600 pro(i will work kinda) i tested but it too give me issues. is there a best card i can use on this mobo?

Reply 4 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cnpr wrote on 2021-02-08, 03:35:

it does have a dvi out put but im using the vga port(have to since i have a voodoo 2 in sli). the monitor is a dell monitor but i dont know the model number but i do know it goes up to 1600 by 1200. i currently got the monitor setting at 1024 by 768. and i just fresh installed many times today but no luck. i do have a ati 9600 pro(i will work kinda) i tested but it too give me issues. is there a best card i can use on this mobo?

That Ti 4200 is a fine choice, IMHO .

The scenario in my previous post definitely does not apply to you.
Are you sure the Ti 4200 works properly ?
Did it work with your previous motherboard or did you change both the motherboard and the video card ?

Re-installing Windows is definitely worthy of consideration.

By the way, you don't need to use VGA output on your primary video card when using it with a Voodoo 2 or 2 Voodoo 2 cards in SLI . You can connect the DVI from the primary card to the monitor's DVI input and the VGA out from the Voodoo 2 into the monitor's VGA input . If you do this, you will need to switch the input on the monitor manually between the primary video card and the Voodoo 2 whenever necessary . I used to do that when I still used a Voodoo 2 .

Reply 6 of 11, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try the earlier Via 4in1 driver that's posted in this thread: [SOLVED] DFI K6XV3+/66 (ATX SS7 board) unstable with GeForce cards - BIOS bug

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 9 of 11, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cnpr wrote on 2021-02-08, 20:25:

ty repo man11 that driver you link me to did the trick run beautifully now

The Apollo chipset is newer than the MVP3, but they are pretty similar, and I've had issues where a resource conflict arises with a GeForce 3 once the Nvidia drivers are installed, while a GF2 MX had no such issue. The earlier version of the 4 in 1 was helpful for me, glad it solved your issue as well.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 10 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Repo Man11 wrote on 2021-02-09, 02:30:
cnpr wrote on 2021-02-08, 20:25:

ty repo man11 that driver you link me to did the trick run beautifully now

The Apollo chipset is newer than the MVP3, but they are pretty similar, and I've had issues where a resource conflict arises with a GeForce 3 once the Nvidia drivers are installed, while a GF2 MX had no such issue. The earlier version of the 4 in 1 was helpful for me, glad it solved your issue as well.

That actually reminded me of me something . It took me a few minutes to find . 4.35 is the golden ticket .

https://web.archive.org/web/20040403165104/ht … com/?PageID=300

Retro OS drivers
Operating System Win95/98/98SE
VIA Chipset Any VIA chipset
The correct driver VIA 4in1 version 4.35
Notes: Win95/98/98SE are now relatively old operating systems, and drivers are no longer optimized for those operating systems. Many users of VIA chipsets who run Win95/98/98SE report that using this old 4in1 version, they experience a more responsive system.
Installation: To install the driver click on the link. Choose the "Save File" option and save it to your folder under Windows where you file your drivers. Unzip the file. (If you are using Windows ME or Windows 98 with the Plus enhancement pack, they have a built-in compression agent that will allow you to extract zip files by right clicking and highlighting "Extract All". If you are using WinZip or another third party Zip/Compression program, follow the instructions of the program to unzip the file.) Then double click on the Setup.exe file to run the installation program.