VOGONS

First post, by TelamonLivesOn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just because I am curious, would it be viable to create/modify a 3.5" floppy drive that can run at speeds similar to the X10 Fast Cache Floppy Drive? The only issues I could see would be the data bus bandwidth (X10 used a custom controller from what I hear). Though I suppose a SCSI interface could be used. It would be really awesome if I could install/use software from REAL floppy disks without the annoyingly slow drive speeds. I know there were other drives such as the L120 or L240 drives, but I hear that they have reliability issues. Also, was there any released information regarding the x10 controller board design? I am really hoping that there is a way to "overclock" a floppy drive or make it more efficient.

Reply 1 of 5, by Error 0x7CF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sony had double speed (and quadruple I think but I'm not positive) floppy drives they used in their cameras, and there are some Sony 2x USB floppy drives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7RHjs_NW8I

Old precedes antique.

Reply 2 of 5, by TelamonLivesOn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Error 0x7CF wrote on 2021-02-08, 03:41:

Sony had double speed (and quadruple I think but I'm not positive) floppy drives they used in their cameras, and there are some Sony 2x USB floppy drives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7RHjs_NW8I

Interesting, I haven't heard of those before. It appears the technology is certainly possible, its just that is hasn't (or hasn't correctly) been done for internal drives. I guess I really just want faster read speeds, I can care less about writing speeds, although they would be quite welcome 😉

Reply 3 of 5, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Getting an LS-120 might be simpler option (not necessarily a cheaper one, though) . Some DOS software may not be compatible with anything but a floppy drive connected to a real floppy controller based on NEC upD765 or compatible/clone .

Reply 4 of 5, by TelamonLivesOn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2021-02-08, 03:58:

Getting an LS-120 might be simpler option (not necessarily a cheaper one, though) . Some DOS software may not be compatible with anything but a floppy drive connected to a real floppy controller based on NEC upD765 or compatible/clone .

Well thankfully, my motherboard supports the ls120 in the bios for booting, I just am curious what the most "reliable" model is.

Reply 5 of 5, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TelamonLivesOn wrote on 2021-02-08, 04:01:
darry wrote on 2021-02-08, 03:58:

Well thankfully, my motherboard supports the ls120 in the bios for booting, I just am curious what the most "reliable" model is.

I have a Panasonic one that still works fine, but I also have heard of reliability issues with some models and/or brands . No specific example springs to mind, unfortunately .