VOGONS

First post, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've come across a decently rare combo parallel port and memory upgrade card, and I'm confused.

The main board has 128kb of memory on it, using "stacked" dram chips, soldered directly on top of one another:

ram_pins_2.JPG
Filename
ram_pins_2.JPG
File size
45.28 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
ram_pins.JPG
Filename
ram_pins.JPG
File size
43.47 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I'm not well versed in the sorcery of DRAM address decoding and whatnot, but it seems to me that BOTH chips would receive identical signals. How would the top chip know to behave differently from the bottom chip?

Reply 2 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, that used to be called piggy-back style, I believe.
In simple words, all chip lines are in parallel, except for two address decoding pins - these two are in series (the cards memory address logic connects to the input of RAM a and the output of RAM a goes into input of RAM b; while output of RAM b in turn goes to input of RAM c and so on).
That way, the addressing goes through all the RAM chips..

Edit: Small edit.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 4, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenerb wrote on 2021-02-09, 02:13:
imi wrote on 2021-02-09, 00:52:

they're probably two slightly different chips

It is a different part number on the top chip vs. the expansion daughtercard. Maybe you're right.

Most DRAM chips have the bits in a square matrix of rows and columns, where both the row count and the column count is a power of two. So you can get 4k, 16k, 64k or 256k addresses inside one
chip. The piggy-back chips are the missing steps of 8k, 32k or 128k. In this case, the capacity is distributed over two chips of the conventional size. Usually, the lower and the upper chip use different pins for "/RAS" or "/CAS", which work similar to a chip select signal. In fact, the setup is very similar to double-sided PS/2 SIMMs. Double-sided PS/2 SIMMs (technically: dual-rank SIMMs) also have all the data and address lines of the chips from both sides in parallel, they only have /RAS or /CAS split for both sides.