VOGONS

First post, by serenitatis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have very nice PC with VIA Epia 5000 mobo and VIA C3 CPU. Also this board have USB FDD support. If plug in USB floppy drive it's mapped like drive A and also support booting. But It's works VERY slow. Boot with basic MS-DOS 6.22 floppy disk takes about 2 minutes. Floppy drive is 100% good. Diskette is also OK.

BTW, I try same thing with few other PCs. Same disk and USB FDD.

• My retro PC with Athlon XP - also very slow
  • HP laptop from circa 2001 - speed is OK
  • IBM Thinkpad T42 - speed is OK

So whats the common with troublesome PCs? My thery - VIA chipset. PLE133 on Epia and KT400 on my Athlon's board.

Is there anybody try USB FDD on Epia and other VIA boards? Maybe there is a trick or magic setting on BIOS?

Reply 1 of 7, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe the Epia 5000 is only USB 1.1 (according to my document library it's also known as just Epia, and the manual for that says 1.1). Do you know what version is on your Athlon XP motherboard and the laptops? USB 2 is capable of much higher speeds.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 7, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm gonna say it's probably the Bios code that isn't optimized for reading from the USB floppy drive on the via epia and the athlon retro pc.

My keyboard also doesn't allow me to type faster when I hook it up to USB3.

edit: you say booting is very slow, but you don't mention reading/writing from the floppy when the system is booted. have you tested this yet ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 3 of 7, by serenitatis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2021-02-09, 12:15:

but you don't mention reading/writing from the floppy when the system is booted. have you tested this yet ?

Yes. It's also very slow.
P.S. On Athlon PC I have regular floppy drive. And there is no problem with speed. Only with USB FDD.

Reply 4 of 7, by serenitatis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2021-02-09, 11:44:

I believe the Epia 5000 is only USB 1.1 (according to my document library it's also known as just Epia, and the manual for that says 1.1). Do you know what version is on your Athlon XP motherboard and the laptops? USB 2 is capable of much higher speeds.

Athlon XP mobo is Albatron KX400-8XV and it's USB 2.0.
Laptops: HP - 1.1, IBM - 2.0.

Reply 5 of 7, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

serenitatis, do you have windows98 or higher or linux on either of the machines to test the usb floppy ? since neither of those should use the bios routines.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 6 of 7, by serenitatis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2021-02-09, 14:06:

serenitatis, do you have windows98 or higher or linux on either of the machines to test the usb floppy ? since neither of those should use the bios routines.

Tested on Athlon PC on Windows 98SE and have no speed issues. So this is definitely VIA BIOS problem 🤷‍♂️