VOGONS

Bricked SSDs

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by Taurus_GT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Taurus_GT wrote on 2021-07-23, 02:32:

I didn't try the thing on my own since I've just found it and will be able to try only somewhere within next 2 weeks. Just thought it helps you.

OK, I did try it today. And it worked (in the most part) with my Kingston, so now I have it up and running.

The tricks I had to find and use over he kit I mentioned in my other message:
1. One of the rpm packages - the lsscsi one - refused to be installed in a double-click in Fedora 14.1. Solved by installing it via rpm - U command in terminal.
2. In my case I had to use the SF_ConfigurationManager of version 1.7.0 or higher and in the original package there is no working app of that version, so I found a couple alternatives here - https://fox-exe.ru/Files/OCZ_Vertex_3/
Looks like another collection of related soft and stuff from another Russian guy.
3. A VERY tricky point - I was on a finish line, the flashing commands was already running... and then just failed on the Formatting step at the very end. Again and again. Solution was found here - http://forum.ru-board.com/topic.cgi?forum=84& … 5360&start=1280. To be more exact, here - http://forum.ru-board.com/topic.cgi?forum=84& … 0&limit=1&m=7#1
In short, some memory chips have a format/write protection circuits. When preparing via the SF_ConfigurationManager a config file to be flashed I had to set the "External Write Protect" item to say not the default "No External Write Protect" but the opposite positive. Thus the SandForce controller is now informed about the presence of such protection and operates accordingly during flashing.

Hope this all helps.

Good luck everyone with restoring your SSDs!

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-07-27, 04:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 21 of 24, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is fluffing around like this with SSDs common? I mean spinning rust drives I have produced well before SSDs even existed are still working fine.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 22 of 24, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not that this was the cause in Taurus_GT's specific case, but I just wanted to share that I once had an issue with an SSD drive suddenly showing errors and running in read-only mode. At first it seemed like the drive had failed, but it turned out to be a faulty SATA cable. After replacing the cable, the drive worked fine again, and I didn't even have to reinstall the OS. So it's always a good idea to check the cabling as well.

Reply 23 of 24, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hatta wrote on 2021-02-09, 14:57:
I don't know if anyone else has had a similar problem, but I just bricked a couple SSDs on my Pentium II. […]
Show full quote

I don't know if anyone else has had a similar problem, but I just bricked a couple SSDs on my Pentium II.

256GB Sandisk X400 SSDs, with an RXD-629A7-7 SATA to IDE adaptor, on a 440LX board.

I set up the partition on my modern machine, using only space below 128GB. Plugged the SSD into the Pentium II and booted a Linux partition on the hard disk. Used 'dd' to copy the Windows partition on that hard disk to the SSD.

Seemed to be working well until I checked it a couple hours later, and got "no DRQ after issuing WRITE" in dmesg. Bad SSD, I thought.

So I tried again with another X400 and another RXD-629. Same damn thing happened.

Reboot, and try to write a new disk label with gparted. Failed. Put them back in my main machine, and it boot loops unless I set the SATA mode to IDE in the BIOS. Run SSD Dashboard, hotplug the drive to unlock it, and try a secure erase. Failed. Sanitize. Failed.

Weird thing is, I tried the exact same procedure on my K7T266 and it worked fine. Identical hardware.

Now I'm wondering, is it the SATA-IDE adaptor or is it the Pentium II box? If I try again, and use my K7T266 to 'dd' the partitions over to a new SSD, will it just crap out when I put it back in the Pentium II? I dunno, I just wanted to put this out there and see if anyone had any relevant experience or advice. Thanks

Do they have trim? might need trim support some have it built in like leave them on 48 hours then try againo or even make a bootable dos trim loader

Reply 24 of 24, by Wind_Assassin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2021-02-21, 18:28:
bios wrote on 2021-02-21, 17:02:
If your SSDs are SandForce-based, this is a know issue for SandForce 2000-series controllers. Did you have any luck with the po […]
Show full quote

If your SSDs are SandForce-based, this is a know issue for SandForce 2000-series controllers. Did you have any luck with the power cycle procedure?

I have recently encountered the same, my Vertex4 was recognised as SandForce{200026BB} in the BIOS . I tried with the power cycle procedure with no results, then found an English guide on how to force a new firmware on the sandforce controller:

https://computerlounge.it/how-to-fix-a-broken … -sandforce-bug/

My SSD is back now, but I lost all data. I shall say, the procedure is quite lengthy and complex. However if you are just looking to have a working drive, it should do the job!

I can't find anywhere to download Ready_Vertex3.7z without either installing special software or registering on an unknown site.

i have the Ready_Vertex3.7z file, i downloaded from the original sourse if someone needs it, ask 4 it. wind_assassin@outlook.cl