VOGONS

First post, by mustagcoupe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently bought a computer with an abit be6. Not be6-2, the original be6. It currently has a 500mhz katmai pentium 3 in it which is a bit more sluggish than i would like. It would seem that the bios only officially supports 850mhz pentium 3 coppermines. Will it take a 1ghz without any problems. Or a tualeron. Any suggestions on slotkets if i cant find a slot 1 pentium 3 for a reasonable price or if i want to go with the tualeron. I am not really interested in overclocking the fsb to 133. Id like to keep it at 100mhz, no point in stressing it unnecessarily.

Reply 1 of 3, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the board supports a coppermine, it will support electrically all Coppermines even if the BIOS does not recognise the CPU. So you're usually good to go with any 100Mhz FSB based PIII Coppermine and any coppermine slocket. If the board can do a divider, there's no reason not to try out 133 FSB, the BX is more than capable of dealing with that speed.

Tualli's will need an adapter, either an active Powerleap one or a passive Lin-Lin or other adapter. In the second case you need to make sure the board is capable of providing the low voltage the Tualeron needs. You'll find lots of information on this board, but no links to sales or ads.

Reply 2 of 3, by mustagcoupe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok thank you. 133mhz does not seem worth it to me. Its already temperamental enough and It does not have the right divider on the agp so if you put it at 133 the agp bus will be overclocked. I am using a passively cooled geforce 2mx400 and im not sure how well it will handle the overclocked bus. It was also incredibly difficult to get it fully working. Its very picky about what pci cards you use and what slots they are in. I was unable to get usb 2.0 working at all because of resource conflicts. I was eventually able to get a scsi card, an ethernet card and an awe64 working after a ton of fighting and swapping slots. It now takes almost 2 minutes to boot between the built in high point 366 udma66 bios and the scsi bios. after it initializes the various bioses and shows the windows 98 screen it spends about a minute sitting on a black screen with a blinking cursor before it boots the rest of the way. Is there a way to fix that or do i just have to deal with the long boot times.

Reply 3 of 3, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

geforce 2mx400 and im not sure how well it will handle the overclocked bus

With flying colors.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.