VOGONS

First post, by Vojtechson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I am new to the forum so sorry if this was posted already. I did try to search in drivers and in topics.

I am having this steering wheel and want to ask - will it work with Win7 and newer games? And what about the cable, do I just need RS232 to USB? What about Force Feedback?

Thanks a lot for answers

Reply 1 of 2, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vojtechson wrote on 2021-02-09, 21:39:
Hello, […]
Show full quote

Hello,

I am new to the forum so sorry if this was posted already. I did try to search in drivers and in topics.

I am having this steering wheel and want to ask - will it work with Win7 and newer games? And what about the cable, do I just need RS232 to USB? What about Force Feedback?

Thanks a lot for answers

Welcome to the forums!

I had a ThrustMaster FF steering wheel that had both USB and Gameport connections on it a while back. It was from around 1998, so likely a little newer, and a different brand of course, but I had a hell of a time trying to get it running on a more modern system. I don't know about Win7, but on Win10 mine kind of worked (it tried in BeamNG and Project Cars), but the driver support for it was quite bad as far as more modern systems go.

You may have better luck with yours, seeing as it's just a serial connection, it may need minimal or no drivers, but it also may need a dedicated program or something that helps address it- I'm not sure. Best of luck though, and I hope it works well with your build. There are also PCI/PCI-E serial cards on eBay for pretty cheap, so you might be able to try that if you're desparate and a USB adapter isn't working. I don't know about USB to serial, but I know PS/2 to USB is usually sketchy at best, so keep that in mind.

Where am I?

Reply 2 of 2, by Mut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a extremely old and obscure wheel called avb force feedback. By default it was a serial (not gameport) wheel. On the past i have discovered that existed a usb version of this wheel. After figure out that the logic board supported both usb and serial. It was only a matter of discover the pinout of the USB port on the board and solder a cable. It supported windows Xp for sure but I don't remember if it supported windows vista and ahead.