VOGONS

First post, by stege

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good day gents. I'm looking to build or even transplant my AST Advantage! 600 into a slim desktop case (easier to move around). It needs to accommodate a pci video card (matrox Mistique), an ISA Awe64 Value card and maybe a BNC Nic 10-Base.
Any suggestions? I was thinking about buying a Lenovo Thinkcentre, removing everything minus the PS, covering the front USBs with a panel and applying some nice stickers on it.

Miss the Monkey Island days, the Space Quest days, even The Longest Journey days.

Reply 1 of 5, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

what do you mean by slim? If you don't have low profile cards, than maybe you can use a 2u Server chassis with a riser card. But you would need standard type isa PCI riser with paddle boards. that could be difficult or impossible to find. I'm just assuming its a standard AT board, if not than you are need to do serious customization and thats not something that can just be suggested by off the shelf parts and youre on your own there.

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    Filename
    s-l400.jpg
    File size
    47.01 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I cant find any pics on the 600 but does yours look something like this?

AST.jpg
Filename
AST.jpg
File size
153.73 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

If so then it's the LPX form factor so about as slim as you can get. It's also not an official form factor much like SFF today so any case you do get will have to be customised.
On the plus side I'm assuming cards plug into a raiser card? That drops your required height to whatever the raiser card is.
Then it'll be the motherboards that dictates the other dimensions.

Last edited by chinny22 on 2021-02-12, 12:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeh so motherboard will dictate width and depth, raiser card will decide your height.

I actually really like the LPX dimensions, already pretty portable compared to tower cases and fits just right under my arm. They stack really nice as well if you happen to own 3 😉
But if still want to go smaller then yeh, your going to have to do a fair bit of hacking of an existing case or start from scratch.

Reply 5 of 5, by stege

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks guys. I'll do some measurements and report back, still looking to move the guts into a newer Lenovo ThinkCentre, add a MHz display and some nice 3D logos on the front.

Miss the Monkey Island days, the Space Quest days, even The Longest Journey days.