VOGONS

First post, by DrLucienSanchez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good morning!

I need some help with configuring an N64 controller on 98SE correctly please. I have it hooked up via a Mayflash converter, and direct into the USB 1.1 port on the mobo. USB drivers installed, controller recognised, can be configured.

The issue I'm having, at the moment is specific to Resident Evil (1996), and this may also be a problem with other games. The controller is detected, but the analog stick is the only form of directional movement, and acts like the games D-Pad. The D-Pad on the other hand, does not function, and buttons "A" and "B", are the only functioning buttons, while the triggers, and the four "C" buttons do not function.

I thought this was just some limitation with the controller type, however the Kega Fusion Genesis emulator recognises all buttons and D-Pad when going through the controller mapping config, and I can even play through Sonic well with them all!

I've configured the controller as directed on the controller calibration wizard, but is there some sort of additional action/input software needed in addition to this, for all buttons to be recognised and mapped on resident Evil, or indeed any other controller orientated game? I'm not that well experienced with this situation within 98SE, back in the 90s I used a Gravis Gamepad Pro, then XP came along and straight forward USB controllers worked right away.

Many thanks.

Classic rig - MS6156 Ver 1.0 Bx7 Slot1 Motherboard - Pentium II Deschutes 400Mhz, 320MB PC100 RAM, 20GB SATA Toshiba 2.5 via IDE/SATA converter, Intel i740 8Mb AGP, Sun Microsystems 16" CRT Monitor - PN17J0 CRT monitor

Reply 1 of 2, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't played the game in years, does it have any menu options to remap buttons?

Failing that you could try software like JoyToKey, to map the keyboard keys that the game uses to the buttons on the pad.

Reply 2 of 2, by DrLucienSanchez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the info, I downloaded the version 3.7.4 of JoyToKey, but it's not picking up the controller apart from the primary keys that are recognised on calibration (the analog and A and B buttons) , this was also the case for Mortal Kombat 3 as well, but I appreciate the help. I've just obtained a New/Old stock Microsoft Sidewinder 1.0 controller, so in a couple of days will be blastin' zombies in no time haha.

Classic rig - MS6156 Ver 1.0 Bx7 Slot1 Motherboard - Pentium II Deschutes 400Mhz, 320MB PC100 RAM, 20GB SATA Toshiba 2.5 via IDE/SATA converter, Intel i740 8Mb AGP, Sun Microsystems 16" CRT Monitor - PN17J0 CRT monitor