VOGONS

First post, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have quite a lot of CPUs in this size but I can't find anything that is cheap like the 775 cases, sealed tight to prevent damage and transparent to check it without opening it.
I've seen a few other types but most of those are not sealed or they are super expensive.
100 pcs of 775 clamshells cost ~$15, that's reasonable and that's what I'm looking for.
How do you store the bigger CPUs in your collection?
I'm afraid to ask about slot 1/A CPUs...

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    343.5 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    775 case
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 22, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been on the lookout too but unfortunately unsuccessful... the old CPU trays sometimes come up but often very expensive, the only ones I ever got broke in shipping 😒

a cheap solution is open cell ESD foam you can just stick your CPUs in (the one specifically designed for that purpose) and then just store them in a box and you can just see all the CPUs at once.

Reply 2 of 22, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well that's too bad. The american solution is quite good but it costs $90/100 pcs + shipping.
The russian version is open and only holds 6 CPUs.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    File size
    315.78 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    370 case
    File license

Reply 3 of 22, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

currently I'm just using cheap ziplock shielding bags for most of them, works too but not as convenient for taking them out often ^^ could get larger ones, that would make it easier.

they're only a few bucks for 100pcs
(disregard the K6, got that clamshell box with it already ^^)

cpus04.jpg
Filename
cpus04.jpg
File size
115.18 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 5 of 22, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Miphee wrote on 2021-02-18, 15:26:

Well that's too bad. The american solution is quite good but it costs $90/100 pcs + shipping.

I use those clam shells. They work well for all different size CPU's (up to Pentium Pro) and provide good pin protection during storage. At a little under a dollar a piece with the ESD foam included (ebay), it is reasonable. I'm sure they can be found on Aliexpress or something for much cheaper, but I haven't looked. As far as Slot 1 / Slot A CPU's, I just put them in an ESD safe bag and put them in the box with the rest of my clamshell protected CPU's.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 6 of 22, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote on 2021-02-18, 17:42:

At a little under a dollar a piece with the ESD foam included (ebay), it is reasonable.

It's still too steep for me because I have 92 pcs in that size and still expect to get 254 to complete the collection. That's more than $300 to spend on CPU boxes alone, way too much. Those 775 shells only cost ¢15 a piece.
I'll probably have to custom-make them to save money.
I'll share it here when I'm done with a prototype.

Reply 7 of 22, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2021-02-18, 15:07:

I've been on the lookout too but unfortunately unsuccessful... the old CPU trays sometimes come up but often very expensive, the only ones I ever got broke in shipping 😒

a cheap solution is open cell ESD foam you can just stick your CPUs in (the one specifically designed for that purpose) and then just store them in a box and you can just see all the CPUs at once.

The old CPU trays are imo the best. CPU storage can get to take up a lot more space if not using them.

Wasn't there the option to use a 3D printer to print new CPU trays? I don't have any experience with 3D printers myself so I don't know much about them, but I thought I should mention this anyway.

EDIT:
Slot 1 CPUs I store either in a shoebox or something stacked vertically (with thus the print side readable when opening the box) or packed in ESD bags. These are not always easy to store becuse many of the ones I have come in all sorts of cooling solutions of different sizes which not always are easy to remove witho0ut breaking something.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 22, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks guys but these are open trays and I'm looking for clamshell types to protect against dust as well.
This is the cheapest I found so far, ¢32 a piece on Aliexpress, jewelry storage boxes.
Still a lot of money because you have to buy 500 pcs + shipping.

Attachments

• jwl.jpg
    Filename
    jwl.jpg
    File size
    44 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 11 of 22, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks but I've already seen it on sale and it's not cheap either.
The problem with these "memory packs", "designed for collectors" is that they are overpriced.
Everyone wants their share of the retro business. 😁 The cheapest I found is ¢49 a piece for this type (comes in a pack of 48).
Still $160 for 8 packs + $20 shipping.
Before anyone thinks that I'm too cheap: I can buy 35 pcs of 370/462 CPUs for that price or 20 pcs of socket 3 types. Way too much to spend on packaging.
The last 775 clamshell pack I bought was ¢4 a piece by a hungarian seller. Too bad he doesn't sell 370 packs.
But $180 for simple plastic? Ridiculous. If I had $180 to spend I'd buy most of the Core 2 Extreme line instead.
I'm not concerned about ESD either so anything goes as long as it's cheap and is a transparent clamshell.

Reply 12 of 22, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Miphee wrote on 2021-02-18, 15:26:

I recognize that ebay listing image!

I actually bought 200 of those holders, at the time it was more like 0.75 per unit. I can say, they work perfectly for any cpu up to those large xeon chips. part of the reason they cost so much; they have to cut that anti-static foam by hand and insert it into each clamshell. then shipping is a large cost because the box is large and light.

yea, its still a bit high on the price considering, but the solution was 100% effective.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 13 of 22, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote on 2021-02-19, 18:01:

yea, its still a bit high on the price considering, but the solution was 100% effective.

I'd certainly buy it if it wasn't overpriced because "for collectors".

Reply 14 of 22, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found a cost-effective solution that fits my criteria:

- transparent clam-type
- protects against pin damage
- fits all s370 CPUs
- super cheap
- easy to make

Overall cost of a single homemade clamshell for s370 size CPUs (with safety pin): ¢10
Overall cost of a single homemade clamshell for s370 size CPUs (without safety pin): ¢6

Tested on IBM, Intel, AMD CPUs of this size. Dropped a Celeron 433 from a height of 50 cm multiple times(~20"), no damage.
The safety pin is not mandatory, the hard, flexible plastic holds the CPU in place.
No ESD protection but this can be made using ESD proof material as well.
Other sizes are also possible, even slot1.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    Filename
    1.JPG
    File size
    434.77 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Standard transparent disposable PP food box lid, $30/500 pcs, size 13x18 cm (5x7”)
    File license
  • 2.JPG
    Filename
    2.JPG
    File size
    411.4 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Cut the edges off
    File license
  • 3.JPG
    Filename
    3.JPG
    File size
    406.72 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Fold it in half
    File license
  • 4.JPG
    Filename
    4.JPG
    File size
    1.83 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Staple it 8 centimeters (3.15”) apart, cut the rest off, staple one side on top
    File license
  • 5.JPG
    Filename
    5.JPG
    File size
    1.66 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Use a hole puncher to make a hole on top (optional)
    File license

Reply 15 of 22, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cheap protection for s370-sized CPUs.

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    Filename
    6.JPG
    File size
    1.79 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Use a tiny safety pin to secure the CPU ($4/100 pcs) (optional)
    File license
  • 7.JPG
    Filename
    7.JPG
    File size
    1.85 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    pin side
    File license

Reply 16 of 22, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

no offense, but then you could have also just taken the antistatic shielding bag route that I'm currently using ^^
that would have been just as cheap, no work involved, and ESD safe.

Reply 17 of 22, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's similar but not the same, the PP lid is very strong and prevents physical damage.
The ESD bag is too soft and doesn't offer clam-like protection, it was important to me.
Essentially it's the same as your ESD bag but it's size fits the CPU perfectly so it doesn't move around at all.

Reply 18 of 22, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I forgot to mention, you can also put 2 CPUs pins 2 pins in the same (ESD) bag. If the bag is bigger, you can fold the bag and put a second pair of CPUs in there. Can't really stack them very high that way but it works pretty good for the CPUs I don't have trays for.
This will also work for CPUs with heatsinks attached like the overdrives and it works for any size.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 22, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2021-02-21, 12:20:

I forgot to mention, you can also put 2 CPUs pins 2 pins in the same (ESD) bag.

I try to avoid that at all costs because dropping a soft bag with 2 CPUs inside always ends in disaster unless they are taped together.
1 box 1 CPU for me. These chinese ESD bags just don't have the necessary stiffness and even the smallest ones are too big for a s370 CPU.