VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've a old box running Win98SE (K6-2 300mhz).
I have both a Sidewinder game pad and a Sidewinder 3D Pro, as well as a gravis gamepad.
For some reason, it will only detect the gamepad (when it's plugged in). The computer will not recognize the 3D pro or the gravis. If the game pad isn't plugged it, it doesn't seem to detect anything.
These are old-fashioned, gameport joysticks.

I've tried just about everything I can think of to get them to work. Any advice would be appreciated.

Reply 2 of 5, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As Jorpho said, you need to install additional drivers for the Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro. Those can be found in the Microsoft SideWinder Software Version 3.02 as described here: Microsoft SideWinder Software Version 3.02
Vogonsdrivers may also have this software: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/
You may find custom drivers helpful as well: MS SideWinder 3D Pro Win9x Drivers
Others may be able to help with the Gravis device.

Reply 3 of 5, by peg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I remember reading somewhere that they won't work if you are running the front side bus at 100mhz. I couldn't get my Sidewinder gamepad working with my k6 550 even with the MS drivers, but I didn't actually try to lower the PSB.

Reply 4 of 5, by Dirge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
akula65 wrote on 2021-02-19, 19:34:
As Jorpho said, you need to install additional drivers for the Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro. Those can be found in the Microsoft […]
Show full quote

As Jorpho said, you need to install additional drivers for the Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro. Those can be found in the Microsoft SideWinder Software Version 3.02 as described here: Microsoft SideWinder Software Version 3.02
Vogonsdrivers may also have this software: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/
You may find custom drivers helpful as well: MS SideWinder 3D Pro Win9x Drivers
Others may be able to help with the Gravis device.

I was able to get my 3D Pro going previously in 98SE using the 3.02 drivers with the replacement sw3dpro.vxd on a PIII 750 (100MHz FSB).

Reply 5 of 5, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not certain yet, but...
I've got an Nvidia MX200 video card, which only supports DX7... But I installed DX 9.0a. When I pulled DX out entirely and let Freespace install DX5 (I think 5...) the joystick was detected. Both the sidewinder and the gravis analog I tried. It was after that that I installed DX9. So I'll try going back to 7 and see if that fixes it.