VOGONS

First post, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I had to replace a p3 that fried. So I though it would be fun to get one of those p4 845gv new old stock from China. The price was fair and although it was free shipping the seller used a private courier so I could receive it quickly. He even added a 2.6ghz/512/533 cpu, a tad better than the 2.53/512/533 I've set aside to put in it. To celebrate that nice deal (but mostly to cover the fact that I overlook the board would only support 1.5v AGP and the 3dfx voodoo3 2000 would not fit anymore) I wanted what I though was the fastest fanless GPU in there. Since my other P4 build have a ati 9600, I went on the nvidia side for this one. I had a G4MX440 that worked perfectly, but wanted faster even if it's not really useful on a win98 build. So I had a geforce 6200 256mb (64bit bus) and a geforce 6200 A LE 64mb (32bit bus) ... and this odd thing that look like the 6200 but dont even boot the computer nvidia 180-10117-0000-8000 model 117, does anybody know what this is btw ?

So the weird stuff start to happen when I put either 6200 (the G4MX440 never produce this problem). I get display pixel corruption on some application that seem to rely more on bitmap like you see in display property, icons, etc. It's like random pixel and a refresh usually make them disappear. TweakUI rebuild icons also repair it. It's random and most of the time it's OK. ModPlugPlayer seem to be very sensitive of it so I use it to test. I could took a screenshot and the corruption would be captured. So here's what it look:

mpp.png
Filename
mpp.png
File size
5.4 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

If you click on a button that has corruption on it, it would disappear, but if you bring the window outside the screen boundary and bring it back, or shade it, there would appear unrelated pixels again.
One weird thing I noted is that if I put the 6200 a second graphic adaptor appear that seem to be necessary and share the IRQ of the nvidia 6200:

devices.png
Filename
devices.png
File size
20.44 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I think the second device dont appear with the G4MX440. I dont find driver for it, and windows tend to go crazy when I try to for install 6200 drivers to it.

There is two motherboard device I can't find from this board. I'm not sure it's related but I'll post them anyway in case it can be of some interest:

pcisystem.png
Filename
pcisystem.png
File size
22.39 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
unknown.png
Filename
unknown.png
File size
21.75 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The ram I put in here is a single barrette of 256 mb (I had 2x256 but for now I'll just put 1 since it's one of those bios that always count ram and I'm debugging/installing that board) of hynix PC3200U-30330 256MB DDR 400Mhz CL3 (HYMD2322646DP8J-D43 AA). The setting on the bios are rather conservative. But I'm open to test any suggestion. The bios is all ISA/PNP except for IRQ 7, DMA 1 and 5 to help CTCM and diagnose find the SB32 in dos mode. There is also a SBLive in there that insist on being on the same IRQ 5 as the nv6200 but removing the sound card dont help to fix the display corruption.

I did try all options on nvidia control panel but nothing give. I've tried following version of forceware: 77.72, 81.98 and the unofficial 82.69 (who would just give 3 weird uninteresting resolution like 576x920 or such). I use the 81.98 now. Maybe there is an archive where I could try even older version ? But those are the three I could find so far.

The computer seem rather stable anyway but I would like to understand and fix the problem. I know that the 6200 was an XP card, but I'm sure nvidia did not release buggy drivers for windows 98. I think it might be something that is fixed in the motherboard bios or win98 drivers with a setup somewhere I did not knew. I wanted to try to swap the radeon9600 with the ge6200 but that new motherboard would not even detect the presence of the 9600.

Thanks your for taking the time to read my issue, I would appreciate any input since idea exchange can lead to exploration path I have not though of.

Reply 1 of 2, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I´ve encountered many times these kind of glitches (bad pixels on the screen) when a graphics card is broken, usually one of the Video memory chips is broken and causing those artifacts. Can you check on another system the 6200, to determine if the card is indeed broken or not?

Reply 2 of 2, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi aaronkatrini, thank you very much for your contribution. While it was unlikely this ge6200 card is bad since the ge6200LE exhibit the same problem, I tested the card on another P4 that had an radeon9600, and it worked flawlessly, there is not even that strange second pci vga card. This other P4 is based around a 865 chipset instead of an 845. The card worked perfectly. Now, unfortunately, I can't just swap the cards as I would love to since the radeon9600 dont work on the 845 motherboard.

Maybe there is intel driver or graphic layer updateI can find for the 845 chipset or win98... I'll continue my investigation...