VOGONS

First post, by fabioefs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello !
This is my first post here, but I'm a long time Vogons reader!
Well I'm trying to build a windows 98 SE machine similar to that one in a recent Philscomputerlab video.
Here are my specs:

ASUS P5KPL-AM
Sapphire X800 GTO2
Sound Blaster Live
SanDisk 120 Gb SSD
2Gb DDR2
LG DVD drive (IDE)

Windows installation goes fine, I have installed Rudolph Loew's patchmem successfully.
The problem starts after installing the Catalyst 6.2 drivers. After the reboot the ATI control panel complains that the drivers aren't installed.
In device manager I have X800 (with an exclamation point), X800 secondary, and standard VGA adapter.
First X800 removed following Phil's instructions, reboot and... I still can't adjust the resolution or color depth.
Any advice?
Maybe the GTO isn't compatible at all?

Reply 3 of 9, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Go to add and remove programs, unistall the ATI drivers. Reboot, press f8 to go into safe mode. in safe mode go into device manager. Remove the display adapters, remove the monitors.

Restart and try the unofficial omega drivers. Maybe the GTO varient will work with them http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1672&menustate=0

Reply 5 of 9, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you can get the cards hardware ID from a program like SIV, then modify the driver INF and add all of the necessary strings for your card you might have a chance.

Technically on paper the card should work like a x800gt, but it probably has a different hardware ID than a x800gt and so thats why its not working for you.

Or your motherboard is causing some kinda incompatibility, but seeing how other people have had success with unsupported motherboards and installing graphics cards I can't say for certain.

Unless you have experience with driver modding, and trouble shooting all of the problems with running unsupported hardware on 9x, and hacking it. Id recommend against it.

Even people who know how to do that and are good with it still have trouble all of the time, and in the end even if they get it to work its buggy and unstable.

Reply 7 of 9, by breadbored

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm currently setting up a asus p5kpl-am se. Install the catalyst drivers only first then after tweaking the resolution and a restart you can install the control panel. That's how I managed it with a x850.

I have a question for you. Did you get working lan drivers? I've tried 7 or so and no luck. I'd really like to have it working for file transfer.

Reply 9 of 9, by breadbored

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got mine running great just no lan unfortunately. I'm also using a sata optical drive with no problems. I'm not sure why but I only had sucess with catalyst drivers first, then soundblaster, then I ran the 98se autopatcher and usb upgrades after. The unofficial service pack gave me some problems . But getting the essential drivers set before anything else was the only way that it didn't give me problems. It took me a day to figure out the video card. It was definitely doing the drivers first that made it work. Same with the soundblaster.