VOGONS

First post, by banreaxe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone

I've been restoring and old AST Bravo MS 5166 I got out of a recycling bin last year. For the most part its working good, but I feel like theres something weird about the onboard sound card. It already had windows 95 installed when I got it and when I checked device manager it showed it had a gameport installed, but there is no gameport on the back of the machine. There is a printer port and two serial ports but no gameport. Does anyone know if theres supposed to be a card that just plugs into the motherboard somewhere and gives access to the gameport? I don't see anything on the motherboard that was obviously for that, but theres a few spots that something could connect and I'm not sure what they are.

I'm also a little confused because when I google this model, I see pictures of ones that look slightly different, and they have onboard gameport, usb, ethernet etc and I have none of that one mine. I'm in canada, so maybe its just a different revision or edition or something.

This brings me to the second part, I have installed a standalone audio card with a gameport (CT4810), and disabled the onboard ones in device manager. When I have a joystick connected it I can add it in windows and it calibrates and tests good, and it works on windows games, but not for dos games. But if I boot straight into dos on startup the joystick works for dos games. Does anyone know why this is hapening?

Thanks

edit: just realized there is a separate forum for sound cards, maybe i should've posted this there, sorry

edit2: as a reference mine looks like this one https://www.finn.no/bap/forsale/ad.html?finnkode=188139644