VOGONS

First post, by mustagcoupe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought one of those zip 250 "scsi to pcmcia" adapters off ebay. When i recieved it today i noticed that the connector is not a standard scsi connector. Its some form of half pitch centronics. I cannot find an adapter to convert it from that to one of the normal scsi connections that i can actually use. Can this even work as a standard scsi or is it locked to zip drives only. Is it worth trying to find an adapter or should i just return it and spend the extra money on a guaranteed to work scsi to pcmcia.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 3, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's not a SCSI cable I'm afraid. It's just a "dumb" PCMCIA to IDE cable for the 2nd gen Zip250 drives.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 2 of 3, by mustagcoupe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well thats unfortunate. Since its pcmcia to ide if the seller doesnt want me to return it could i convert it to normal 44 pin ide and use it for testing laptop drives and cf cards.

Reply 3 of 3, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, unfortunately those drives that look like USB/SCSI are really USB/IDE. I think they have the model number Z250USBPCM or some variation thereof.

The only SCSI Zip 250 is the Z250s or S2.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net