VOGONS

First post, by kmikze

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I recently got a Compaq Armada 1592DT and is working without problems.
Well, at least for now 😁 I observed that the fan is not spinning so my question is:
The fan on this machine is always on or it will start only when the laptop gets hot? I opened the laptop and separately tested the fan and is working.
I waited like 10-15 minutes, the radiator from the motherboard got warm but the fan still didn't start.

Does anybody have this model or similar that can confirm if the fan only starts at a certain temperature?

Thank you

Reply 2 of 4, by kmikze

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SSTV2 wrote on 2021-02-27, 22:13:

I had same concern once too, CPU fan on my Armada 1550T (133MHz P54C, 2.9V core) turns on when CPU reaches around 65*C, that's normal for those armadas apparently.

Hi SSTV2, thank you for your answer. I will give it a try with some games and stay close to the fan 😁

Reply 4 of 4, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That 1592DT Compaq doesn't give a damn about CPU cooling, temperature sensor's tripping threshold must be set at the same level as for the older and hotter P54C Pentiums.

Offtopic:

The older 1550T model is a pretty decent laptop, except for the horrid VGA performance, it uses a Cirrus Logic CL-GD7548 video chip with 1MB of EDO memory (32bit bus) and because of it, this laptop falls into the Pentium 90-100MHz performance category - Doom barely goes above its capped framerate, in Quake, under clean DOS, it scores 25FPS (demo1 no sound, 320x200), and in Diablo it stutters! These results were obtained with an OCed to 167MHz CPU.

I could not find benchmark results for this CL graphics chip or laptop, so I'm not totally sure whether this poor VGA perfomance could be attributed to my particular laptop or all laptops that used this graphics chip 😒