VOGONS

First post, by Corvair

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! This is a retro printers in my collection (part 1)

P1050085_result.jpg
Filename
P1050085_result.jpg
File size
251.77 KiB
Views
File comment
Epson LQ-2550
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
P1050086_result.jpg
Filename
P1050086_result.jpg
File size
326.46 KiB
Views
File comment
LQ-2550 test print
File license
P1030381_result.jpg
Filename
P1030381_result.jpg
File size
248.73 KiB
Views
File comment
Fujitsu DL-3300. Pictured shortly after decomissioning
File license
P1030420_result.jpg
Filename
P1030420_result.jpg
File size
457.67 KiB
Views
File comment
DL-3300 test print
File license
P1060111_resize.jpg
Filename
P1060111_resize.jpg
File size
256.5 KiB
Views
File comment
Epson LX-300+ with colour kit
File license

Reply 1 of 17, by Corvair

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is a retro printers in my collection (part 2)

P1080207_result.jpg
Filename
P1080207_result.jpg
File size
184.68 KiB
Views
File comment
Brother M-1824L with SF-240 Cut sheet feeder
File license
Demo_result.jpg
Filename
Demo_result.jpg
File size
181.66 KiB
Views
File comment
M-1824L test print
File license
P1020864_result.jpg
Filename
P1020864_result.jpg
File size
333.76 KiB
Views
File comment
Facit E-560
File license
P1020865_result.jpg
Filename
P1020865_result.jpg
File size
266.03 KiB
Views
File comment
E-560 test print
File license
IMG_1405.JPG
Filename
IMG_1405.JPG
File size
247.12 KiB
Views
File comment
Epson LQ-570+ with 50-sheet Cut sheet feeder
File license

Reply 2 of 17, by Corvair

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is a retro printers in my collection (part 3)

P1010457_result.jpg
Filename
P1010457_result.jpg
File size
279.37 KiB
Views
File comment
TEC F10-40 daisywheel
File license
P1010459_result.jpg
Filename
P1010459_result.jpg
File size
347.33 KiB
Views
File comment
TEC F10-40 daisywheel
File license
P1010471_result.jpg
Filename
P1010471_result.jpg
File size
437.87 KiB
Views
File comment
F10-40 daisywheel and test print
File license

Reply 3 of 17, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got this printer because this type was the one I used when I was 8.
It's slow, noisy, heavy and the print quality is bad but I loved this printer when I was a kid, that screeching noise has a sentimental value to me now.
The ribbon costs like $3 and still widely available.
It doesn't fit any of my shelves so I'm lucky I'm not into collecting old printers.

Attachments

• DSCN3185.JPG
    Filename
    DSCN3185.JPG
    File size
    558.41 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 4 of 17, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not retro, but somewhat. I have an Epson FX-890 dot matrix tractor feed printer that is recently manufactured. It will interface with everything from my Amiga and 8088 up through Windows 10.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 5 of 17, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Corvair that's a lot of printers!
Do you have them permanently setup and attached to PC's or do they only come out for special occasions.

I'd like a dot matrix of some sort and/or something like a HP LaserJet 4 but don't have the space.

Reply 7 of 17, by Corvair

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My printers don't attached to permanet rig and come out for spesial occasions only, firstly for my friends. And i planning to move my collection to display in a retro tech museum.
Who else has colour matrix printers? This machines used up to mid 90s, but Epson recently released very interesting DLQ-3500 II, not only than colour matrix printer, first matrix printer with colour display 😀. This means to colour matrix printer, truly ancient technology, remains in demand.

Reply 8 of 17, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Epson LQ were daisy wheel and LX were dot matrix, IIRC.

I think I had one of each many years ago, but no longer remember the models.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 9 of 17, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an Epson LQ-850 and HP Deskjet 842C which I use for printing from retro machines, and an HP Color Laserjet 4500 which I use for both modern & retro printing from network

I'll see if I can post pics later

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 10 of 17, by Corvair

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Errius wrote on 2021-03-02, 20:11:

The Epson LQ were daisy wheel and LX were dot matrix, IIRC.

I think I had one of each many years ago, but no longer remember the models.

All Epson impact printers is a typical dot-matrix (needle, SIDM) printers. LQ/DLQ/PLQ series - 24 pin, LX/FX/DFX - 9 pin. Modern FX has 18 (2*9) pin, DFX also x*9 pin, basically is a 9 pin technology with multipied 9 pin arrays for speed.
Letterpress/typewriter-like fixed letters printer and daisy wheel in particular, provides best quality among impact technology, true Letter Quality class. But most LQ-class printers typically is a 24-pin SIDM machines, daisy wheel technology in comuter printer generally declined to late 80s.
Some daisywheel printers able to graphic print through "dot" sign. Probably this actually single-needle print was very-very slow. The sign of "graphical" capability of daisywheel printer is a metal insert in "dot" sign. Just my TEC F10-40 has metal dot sign and needs to check his graphical capabilities.

Reply 11 of 17, by Corvair

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

New Epson LX-300+II Colour with cut sheet feeder on my work 😀

Attachments

Reply 12 of 17, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This will have to do as a placekeeper/reminder until my PC hoard has all been undug and I've done the wheat from the chaff and got to the printers....
What I think I have:
One wide carriage 24 pin Dot Matrix, grabbed it as a freebie in the noughties, never ran it, I wanna say it's a Panasonic.. not sure, might turn out to be my sole DMP there might be another around. I did have a mental note to grab one DMP of the old classics variety like a real FX-80 or a Star LC-10 or something, but nothing turned up yet.
Bubble jets, need winnowing, I have several old Canons BJ110, BJ200, BJC240 or something like that. Wanna get one of those fixed up that uses the BJ-5 cart that are cheap and infinitely refillable. Also have a HP Deskjet 500 or something close to that, one of the halo inkjets of early/mid 90s. Miiight think of getting that going, large footprint for an inkjet though. Piles of epson trashjets, the free with PC kind that take an $80 cart to find out they don't work, or if they do, piss away all the yellow watermarking your prints then complain they can't print B/W with 80% of your black left.... I should bust them up for components.
Laserprinters, LaserJet II and IIID to get going with spare trays and cartridges... the DTP monster in early 90s. Definitely gonna keep one or both of those and set them up, they also take generic text output and postscript, so can get them to print from anything.

Would be cool to have them all set up in one of those print center stands that offices had back in 90s, lower shelf with a fanfold basket under for a fast dot matrix, shelves above for your laser and maybe color inkjet. Well "all" meaning 3. Prolly have to run a pentium box with NT 3.5 as a print server or something. Though I've got an Axis ethernet print server box doohickey.

Anyways, not done "curating" the printer selection yet. "Modern" requirements get filled by a LaserJet 13xx from the noughties, that takes $20 per 10,000 print toner.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 13 of 17, by Corvair

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Epson LQ-400 on my work, medical lab. Circa late 80s, wery useful and simply printer for equipment, with excellent print quality.

Attachments

Reply 14 of 17, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can't show it as it's stored. I have Epson LQ-100.

Had the one back in the 90s and used it quite a lot for school work. I have it just to complete the setup I used to have. It still works fine but there is no real use for it now.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 15 of 17, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have an original Apple Imagewriter, and an HP Laserjet II in my storage unit. Those are probably my two oldest printers. I don't really collect those. If I find one that looks really, REALLY old when I'm dumpster diving, I might decide to save it, or I might not. I don't go out of my way for them, like looking to buy them on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace, or anything like that.

Reply 17 of 17, by Corvair

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

New workplace finding: Facit E445, rebadged Citizen Swift 9, seemly.
Note the funny Citizen's familiar Command-Vue III mechanical menu user interface.
This printer is color-capable with optional Epson LX-300 like colour kit.

Attachments