VOGONS

First post, by Grayshazzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone, I am deciding on using a new old stock PSU (was told harder to find) or just a regular modern ATX one (decent 5 and 3.3 volt rail output and all). It may sound irrelevant but I would like to go for something that matches the grey internal/back color from my outside beige shelled case like old PSUs (grey) used to look. Besides color, should I just either go for a modern PSU with a decent amount of amps on the 5 and 3 volt rail, 20+4 with Molex connectors? A big reason in me wanting to get a modern PSU is that I can go full modular for the heck of it since old cases didn't really have any cable management spaces, so this would be a great advantage for flow/room (will accept black color in this case since it is more expensive for different colored modern PSUs). Two brands I am mostly thinking of are Corsair and EVGA, maybe would want to go with an EVGA as I saw Tech Tangents using one when building a 98 build awhile back with similar specs in terms of CPU and such. And lastly I am trying to keep this build somewhat silent as I have some silent fans in my case as well, Noctua (CPU) and Arctic (case).

Specs:

Motherboard: Intel D815EEA2 (non-Tualatin version)
CPU: Pentium III 1.4GHz-S (modified)
GPU: GeForce 4 TI 4200 (128MB/AGP 4x)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS (Platinum)
Optical: 5.25" DVD Drive Bay

Here is a fully modular EVGA 550 watt PSU I found on Amazon, I will post a specs sheet below (ignoring price and talking about efficiency): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084RGH8W4/ … 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What I have as a PSU right now is unacceptable for my standards as it is a small branded PSU (A-Power), so I do not trust it around my parts. Thank you everyone for your time and patience for reading, hope your day is going well.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grayshazzle wrote on 2021-03-01, 01:54:
Hello everyone, I am deciding on using a new old stock PSU (was told harder to find) or just a regular modern ATX one (decent 5 […]
Show full quote

Hello everyone, I am deciding on using a new old stock PSU (was told harder to find) or just a regular modern ATX one (decent 5 and 3.3 volt rail output and all). It may sound irrelevant but I would like to go for something that matches the grey internal/back color from my outside beige shelled case like old PSUs (grey) used to look. Besides color, should I just either go for a modern PSU with a decent amount of amps on the 5 and 3 volt rail, 20+4 with Molex connectors? A big reason in me wanting to get a modern PSU is that I can go full modular for the heck of it since old cases didn't really have any cable management spaces, so this would be a great advantage for flow/room (will accept black color in this case since it is more expensive for different colored modern PSUs). Two brands I am mostly thinking of are Corsair and EVGA, maybe would want to go with an EVGA as I saw Tech Tangents using one when building a 98 build awhile back with similar specs in terms of CPU and such. And lastly I am trying to keep this build somewhat silent as I have some silent fans in my case as well, Noctua (CPU) and Arctic (case).

Specs:

Here is a fully modular EVGA 550 watt PSU I found on Amazon, I will post a specs sheet below (ignoring price and talking about efficiency): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084RGH8W4/ … 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What I have as a PSU right now is unacceptable for my standards as it is a small branded PSU (A-Power), so I do not trust it around my parts. Thank you everyone for your time and patience for reading, hope your day is going well.

See Any modern psu's that have large 5v rails

I personally went with a Corsair RM850x for my P3 build .
25A each on 3.3A and 5V rails with a combined max load of 150W for these rails . This is likely overkill for most P3 setups .

Reply 2 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That should work fine for a Pentium 3. With 120watt max on 3.3v+5v it should handle everything just fine, if you were thinking of a high end Althon XP would suggest one with bigger combined 3.3+5v watts near 150watts.

darry wrote on 2021-03-01, 02:08:

25A each on 3.3A and 5V rails with a combined max load of 150W for these rails . This is likely overkill for most P3 setups .

Yep good choice !
You beat me by a minute 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 6, by Grayshazzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
See Any modern psu's that have large 5v rails […]
Show full quote
Hello everyone, I am deciding on using a new old stock PSU (was told harder to find) or just a regular modern ATX one (decent 5 […]
Show full quote

Specs:

I appreciate the recommendations, but since you were talking about overkill, would a 24 amp on both 5 and 3 volt rails be okay for a total combo of 120 watts.

Reply 4 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grayshazzle wrote on 2021-03-01, 04:20:
See Any modern psu's that have large 5v rails […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Specs:

I appreciate the recommendations, but since you were talking about overkill, would a 24 amp on both 5 and 3 volt rails be okay for a total combo of 120 watts.

I would say, probably .

Getting something like this https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07HJ36WFR/ (the power meter I have, but there are many similar options), measuring under load and extrapolating power draw based on your current PSU's efficiency rating might give you a better idea of how much headroom you have .

Reply 5 of 6, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You don't typically need worry about power consumption on a socket 370 platform. A 1400s has a rated TDP of 32 watts and the Ti 4200 is about the same. Any power supply with 20a on the 5v rails should be enough. There are lot of members with a similar setup.

Reply 6 of 6, by Grayshazzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-03-01, 05:15:

You don't typically need worry about power consumption on a socket 370 platform. A 1400s has a rated TDP of 32 watts and the Ti 4200 is about the same. Any power supply with 20a on the 5v rails should be enough. There are lot of members with a similar setup.

Awesome, thank you so much and everyone else. That sums it up, I will go for the full mod 550 watt EVGA!