VOGONS

First post, by MrBooble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello

Long time lurker and apologies if this is the wrong place. I have recently rebuilt a windows 98se retro pc. All working great with updated usb drivers. My issue is my old gigabyte ga-7dx board only provides 2 usb v1 ports on the back and an on board usb pin out slot to attach some more. I would like to use the front USB ports on my atx case and the relatively new case I rehoused it in has usb 3 support and a cable that plugs into a usb 3 motherboard pin out slot, which doesn’t fit the old usb 1 pin out slot on my motherboard. Are there any internal adapters/ conversion products. I have considered adding a usb 2.0 pci card but they don’t appear to have a pin out slot on them for front usb connection. My only other alternative is I could use an extension cable and buy ps/2 mouse & keyboard to free the 2 USB ports up. Just wondered if anyone else has had this issue? I’m not trying to convert usb 1 to 3 in terms of standard/ speed (as that’s clearly not possible) I just want to have convenience of use 1 backwards compatibility on the front USB ports. Tia.

Reply 1 of 13, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What kind of pins does the motherboard use, is it the same as the UBS2 connector blocks? There's converters from/to the USB3 standard:
https://www.google.com/search?q=usb+2+to+3+co … iw=1920&bih=966

Reply 2 of 13, by MrBooble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It appears to be a 10 pin connection on the motherboard- but with 2 pins missing:

pin 1 is top left, bottom left is pin 2 and so on. So pin 3 and 8 is missing. The case connector is smaller.

Thanks I will have a look at the link you posted.

Attachments

• usb connector.jpg
    Filename
    usb connector.jpg
    File size
    37.82 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 5 of 13, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The pins on the side of the USB2 connector can easily be taken out of the plastic housing and put into the correct place for your motherboard.

https://www.amazon.com/Duttek-2-pack-Motherbo … 14606456&sr=8-3

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 6 of 13, by MrBooble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2021-03-01, 13:50:

The pins on the side of the USB2 connector can easily be taken out of the plastic housing and put into the correct place for your motherboard.

https://www.amazon.com/Duttek-2-pack-Motherbo … 14606456&sr=8-3

ahh thank you so I could strip out the individual connectors from the front USB panel cable within the case and connect as follows....

Pin 1 +5V on motherboard -> USB+5v on stripped connector (top left pin in diagram)
Pin 2 GND -> GND (left 4th pin down)
Pin 3 USB D2- -> LP- (left 2nd pin down)
No Pin 4
Pin 5 USB D2+ -> LP+ (left 3rd pin down)
Pin 6 USB D3+ ->LP+ (right 3rd pin down)
No Pin 7
Pin 8 USB D3- -> LP- (right 2nd down)
Pin 9 GND -> GND (right 4th pin down)
Pin 10 +5V -> USB5+ (top right pin in diagram).

I'm assuming this would then work and the front USB panel will be a compatible USB 1.0 interface?

Attachments

• usb2.png
    Filename
    usb2.png
    File size
    55.94 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • usb connector.jpg
    Filename
    usb connector.jpg
    File size
    37.82 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 8 of 13, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oetker. No need for any heatshrink, unless it's one of those 10 pin connectors with the 10th pin sealed completely shut.

Just carefully take out the pins that are in the wrong place, and shove'm into the right place of the connector.

MrBooble, yes, you just lift up the tab that holds the metal part inside the plastic part, pull on the cable to take it out, et voila.
and if it is on of those that just has the bottom sealed like the one in the photo, just make a hole in the bottom plastic.

Attachments

• connector.PNG
    Filename
    connector.PNG
    File size
    170.63 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Do not ask Why !

Reply 9 of 13, by MrBooble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Oetker wrote on 2021-03-01, 14:47:

I would put some heat shrink around the extracted connectors just to make sure they don't touch.

Could I re-purpose an existing adaptor and place the cable into the right place (re purpose an adaptor as shown in the pic). I'd need 2 of them for each usb port. This method instead of direct attached / with heat shrink? can you buy those 5 pin female adaptors on their own?

Attachments

• adaptor.png
    Filename
    adaptor.png
    File size
    215.48 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 10 of 13, by MrBooble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2021-03-01, 14:51:
Oetker. No need for any heatshrink, unless it's one of those 10 pin connectors with the 10th pin sealed completely shut. […]
Show full quote

Oetker. No need for any heatshrink, unless it's one of those 10 pin connectors with the 10th pin sealed completely shut.

Just carefully take out the pins that are in the wrong place, and shove'm into the right place of the connector.

MrBooble, yes, you just lift up the tab that holds the metal part inside the plastic part, pull on the cable to take it out, et voila.
and if it is on of those that just has the bottom sealed like the one in the photo, just make a hole in the bottom plastic.

ah fantastic. yes I see, make hole where the 10th pin should be and insert. Yes that is a clean way of fixing the adaptor!

Reply 11 of 13, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrBooble wrote on 2021-03-01, 15:00:
weedeewee wrote on 2021-03-01, 14:51:
Oetker. No need for any heatshrink, unless it's one of those 10 pin connectors with the 10th pin sealed completely shut. […]
Show full quote

ah fantastic. yes I see, make hole where the 10th pin should be and insert. Yes that is a clean way of fixing the adaptor!

Ah ok, as I understood it the connector wouldn't fit your motherboard pins at all. Glad this'll work.

Reply 12 of 13, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MrBooble, repurpose... yes offcource that's what I've been saying all along. you can also get a USB2 to USB3 cable, rewire the USB2 part of it, so you can use the USB3 ports on your case (linked in previous comment)
Oetker, when you have the connecter it's easy enough to re-use, and save some heatshrink for later 😁

Do not ask Why !

Reply 13 of 13, by MrBooble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks guys, you've been a great help and I've got some things to work on now 😀

Windows 98 SE seems to be running nice on my Athlon XP 2200 + with FX 5600 Ultra and SB Live Card. The FX cards weren't great but great for retro gaming given their DX9 compatibility / NGlide. Fixing the front USB up will be the icing on the cake. Thanks.