VOGONS

First post, by Brute389

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently, I acquired a Vaio C1XF, which is the Japanese variant of the C1XS. Both of them are the same hardware-wise but I figured I would preface with that. Anyways, the system has a Yamaha DS-XG YMF744B-R sound card. The WDM drivers work great and no problems there. However when I install the VXD drivers sourced from phils website, I get no sound. The drivers install fine, except for asking for the ds launcher and mixer executables as well as some help files, and device manager reports no issues either. I have also tried installing some other ymf744 vxd drivers with the same results. Does anybody have any ideas on what could be wrong?

Reply 1 of 39, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm.. have you tried initializing it in DOS (autoexec.bat) before booting into Windows. I don't remember if I have ever tried the Windows drivers without first initializing in DOS first.

To initialize, you will need to run
Setupds /S

Then you can run
Setupds
to configure the card and save the settings.

The stock Setupds should work just fine.

Those laptops have the PC-PCI / SB-Link connection
hardwired so it should have pretty perfect compatibility with DOS games.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 39, by Brute389

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-03-03, 03:50:
Hmmm.. have you tried initializing it in DOS (autoexec.bat) before booting into Windows. I don't remember if I have ever tried t […]
Show full quote

Hmmm.. have you tried initializing it in DOS (autoexec.bat) before booting into Windows. I don't remember if I have ever tried the Windows drivers without first initializing in DOS first.

To initialize, you will need to run
Setupds /S

Then you can run
Setupds
to configure the card and save the settings.

The stock Setupds should work just fine.

Those laptops have the PC-PCI / SB-Link connection
hardwired so it should have pretty perfect compatibility with DOS games.

I appreciate the response. So I went ahead and booted right into command prompt and opened setupds. With my current config, I was able to produce fm sound, and soundblaster 8 bit sound, but not soundblaster 16 bit. When I test it on 16 bit, i can hear a super faint white noise. Oddly enough, windows is failing to boot unless in safe mode, so I wondering if I messed with the settings too much.

Attachments

• Setupds.jpeg
    Filename
    Setupds.jpeg
    File size
    182.3 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 3 of 39, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Brute389 wrote on 2021-03-03, 02:01:

Anyways, the system has a Yamaha DS-XG YMF744B-R sound card. The WDM drivers work great and no problems there. However when I install the VXD drivers sourced from phils website, I get no sound.

Phil hosts the 1040 version of VxD drivers on his website. Your card might need newer drivers from the 20xx range, as per this guide.

Try version 2008 or 2013. You can download them from here: ftp://ftp.dyu.edu.tw/pub/Hardware/stuff/multi … maha/744/Win9X/

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4 of 39, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also have the latest setupds in the link in my sig.

The 16-bit sound is not sound blaster 16. It is the native Yamaha 16-bit sound.

Surprised it is not working in setupds. It should work no matter what.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 39, by Brute389

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Joseph, I could not access the drivers from the second link you posted. Also, cyclone have you had any trouble with phil's drivers before? Do you use any other ones for your ymf cards? I should also say that my chipset is 440mx if that makes a difference.

Reply 6 of 39, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Brute389 wrote on 2021-03-03, 06:28:

Hey Joseph, I could not access the drivers from the second link you posted.

It's an FTP server and I'm guessing modern browsers like Chrome don't allow access to it. You might want to try with a different browser or an FTP client. It works fine for me using Safari on iPad.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 7 of 39, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 440 line is supported by the default setupds.

You can also download the AOPEN ymf744L-II driver CD as well as an updated driver pack from vogonsdrivers.com

Note that the updated driver pack seems to credit me with ymfirq which is incorrect as I had nothing to do with the creation of it.

http://vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=39&menustate=55,38

I have been having problems with accessing FTP sites via browser lately as well. Not sure if it was a Windows update or not but it happened right after I switched to ATT fiber.

Funny thing is that all ads on Youtube are now blocked as well.. which is nice in a way but I didn't always skip ads on channels I normally watch.

I am pretty sure that Phil got the drivers and modified setupds utilities from me when he was reviewing the card I sent him.

I'm not sure if he has the very latest drivers or not though.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 39, by Brute389

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-03-03, 07:25:
The 440 line is supported by the default setupds. […]
Show full quote

The 440 line is supported by the default setupds.

You can also download the AOPEN ymf744L-II driver CD as well as an updated driver pack from vogonsdrivers.com

Note that the updated driver pack seems to credit me with ymfirq which is incorrect as I had nothing to do with the creation of it.

http://vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=39&menustate=55,38

I have been having problems with accessing FTP sites via browser lately as well. Not sure if it was a Windows update or not but it happened right after I switched to ATT fiber.

Funny thing is that all ads on Youtube are now blocked as well.. which is nice in a way but I didn't always skip ads on channels I normally watch.

I am pretty sure that Phil got the drivers and modified setupds utilities from me when he was reviewing the card I sent him.

I'm not sure if he has the very latest drivers or not though.

I went ahead and had a clean install of windows 98 with no drivers installed yet to test on a clean slate. I went ahead and installed the 2019 aopen vxd driver. It restarted and detected a pci multimedia audio device, which I selected as the PCI audio codec. It then auto detected legacy sound system device, and a gameport device. After installing, 98 crashed, and now bootloops unless Im in safe mode. I went ahead and did a bootlog.txt, and it shows the fonts failing to load and pushing out error 0016.

Reply 9 of 39, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you using 98 or 98SE?

Have you installed the updates for Windows? The 2004 Microsoft update CD which has all the updates for 98SE and probably earlier 9x is available on vogonsdrivers:
http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=8 … &menustate=56,0

Do you have the chipset drivers installed?

I can try testing with my C1X as well.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 10 of 39, by Brute389

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-03-04, 00:20:
Are you using 98 or 98SE? […]
Show full quote

Are you using 98 or 98SE?

Have you installed the updates for Windows? The 2004 Microsoft update CD which has all the updates for 98SE and probably earlier 9x is available on vogonsdrivers:
http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=8 … &menustate=56,0

Do you have the chipset drivers installed?

I can try testing with my C1X as well.

I am using the iso for 98se from winworldpc. I did not install any updates aside from usb drivers, and I did not install a chipset driver.

Reply 11 of 39, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Install the chipset drivers and then updates.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 12 of 39, by Brute389

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I went ahead and reinstalled windows, then I installed the chipset driver followed by the secuirty update cd. Afterwards, I installed the aopen driver again, and this time the drivers installed successfully. However, I am still not getting audio output at all. Interestingly, there is no IRQ setup for the legacy sound system at all. I only have an IRQ of 9 for the PCI codec. It's very weird as I can install the wdm driver with no issues.

Reply 13 of 39, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok. I'll experiment with my C1X soon. I had it stored for along time and the matte film on the lcd started separating. I removed it months ago but never cut to size or installed the matte screen protector I ordered.

Might be a few days before I can mess with it.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 15 of 39, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sooo... the regular C1X has an ESS sound chipset and not a Yamaha one.

I do have some C1VN that use the Yamaha YMF-744 chip as well as some other Vaio laptops that use the same but not sure if that will help at all.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 17 of 39, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, I checked my PCG-XG29 which is a Pentium III with the same YMF-744 chip and I have it being initialized in DOS before it boots to Windows 98SE. The 2019 VXD drivers are installed in Windows.

For the C1VN laptop, it came with Windows 2000 and I haven't replaced the drive or put Windows 98SE on it.
The motherboard chipset is going to be completely different though since it has a Transmeta Crusoe CPU.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 18 of 39, by Brute389

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-03-09, 02:02:

Well, I checked my PCG-XG29 which is a Pentium III with the same YMF-744 chip and I have it being initialized in DOS before it boots to Windows 98SE. The 2019 VXD drivers are installed in Windows.

For the C1VN laptop, it came with Windows 2000 and I haven't replaced the drive or put Windows 98SE on it.
The motherboard chipset is going to be completely different though since it has a Transmeta Crusoe CPU.

Whenever I boot into to windows 98, I too see the dos sound settings being intialized, and whenever I have run SETblaster.exe, it tests and comes back with no issues. However, I am getting no actual audio whatsoever. It is really interesting because I feel like it is just one little issue that is stopping it because everything seems to be set up right.

Reply 19 of 39, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Post the contents of your config.sys and autoexec.bat files

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK