VOGONS

First post, by Rudi_K

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Goodafternoon,

I'm Rudi and i'm new at this forum.
Since some weeks my 486 DX2 66Mhz Won't start up at all.
The problem started that some times the keyboard freezes (power off and on solved it)
but a view weeks ago it was dead.

I replaced the accu (not much damage from leaking)
Resolder the keyboard pins, but still no live.
The powersupply is giving the correct voltage.

I bought a "PC analyzer" card and put it in one ISA slot, the Error code is 05 what means something with the Keyboard controller.
I don't know the brand or type of the mainboard. (see picture below of the mainboard)

Is there anyone who can give me some tips to troubleshoot?
Thanks in advance.

Rudi Korterink.

Attachments

• mobo.jpg
    Filename
    mobo.jpg
    File size
    1.45 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Mobo
    File license
    Public domain
  • postcard.jpg
    Filename
    postcard.jpg
    File size
    1.7 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Postcard error
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-03-06, 02:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 10, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You may need to desolder the keyboard connector and visually follow each trace and check them for continuity. The biggest issue I see is the power connector being right there and it may obscure your ability to visually follow some of the traces. It's not uncommon for what looks like a trace running straight under a component to be two separate traces, though thankfully power lines are normally larger traces so hopefully the keyboard isn't routed under that.

Reply 4 of 10, by squelch41

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The chip near the ISA slots labelled mb300-e is probably the keyboard controller

V4P895P3 VLB Motherboard AMD 486 133MHz
64mb RAM, CF 4Gb HDD,
Realtek 8019 ethernet + XT-IDE bios ROM, ES1869 soundcard, VLB Cirrus Logic GD5428 1mb VGA

440bx MSI 6119, modified slocket , Tualitin Celeron 1.2Ghz 256mb SD-RAM, CF 4GB HDD, FX5200 gfx

Reply 5 of 10, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rudi_K wrote on 2021-03-06, 14:54:

Ok, thank you, I will inspect them again.
Do you know the brand of the Mainboard? and is there some info of the Keyboard controller, so I can test the traces to see witch is not OK ?

That is a Soyo 030F2 motherboard according to the sticker, but there is nothing to be found about it.
I think it is a relabeled other motherboard with OPTI chipset. So your best bet is to check around the keyboard controller and find it's datasheet.

Reply 6 of 10, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

We have the 030E2 on uh19 http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/4650

They look almost identical. Maybe the actual name is 030 and E2/F2 is the revision ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 7 of 10, by Rudi_K

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your replays.
I shall Desolder the MB-300E chip and check the traces.
They mainboard looks like the 030E2 so thanks for finding that 😀
If found something I let know here.
Maybe the keyboard controller is broken, I hope I can get a new one if the traces look fine.

Reply 8 of 10, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These chips are fairly common among motherboards. They're often swappable by any other chip of this kind. Iirc they're intel 8057 clones inside.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 9 of 10, by Rudi_K

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All,

The 486 is working again 😀
I removed the keyboard chip, sodler a DIP-40 holder and buy on good luck a LT38C41 Controller.
this one is working perfect 😀
so there are no broken traced and the old keyboard controller was dead.
Thank you all for the help.

Best Regards Rudi.

Attachments

• nieuwe chip.jpg
    Filename
    nieuwe chip.jpg
    File size
    310.77 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    new Keyboard controller
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10 of 10, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deksor wrote on 2021-03-09, 15:37:

These chips are fairly common among motherboards. They're often swappable by any other chip of this kind. Iirc they're intel 8057 clones inside.

They are Intel 8042 clones inside.

That's the "slave processor" variant of the 8048 microcontroller. The 8048 family is the predecessor of the 8051 family, but the keyboard controller kept at the 8048 level, because this is sufficient for the keyboard controller. Later on, especially on laptops, the keyboard controllers got replaced by much more powerful "embedded controllers" that often have completely different architectures. IBM for example used H8/300 processors in their T-series thinkpads for a long time.