VOGONS

Good value PC for Win98 - evading the RETRO TAX

Topic actions

First post, by Retrojanusz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello friends,

As you probably know, there's a lot of old gems that aren't on GoG, and just refuse to work on modern PCs except virtual machines - which are usually unplayable anyway (stutter).

I'm referring mostly to the Win98 era here which is generally the hardest to get to work on modern systems, though some Win-XP games may also fall into that category.

However, the not-too-fun practice of slapping silly prices on retro hardware that got somewhat popular due to influencer activity is really hard to stomach and I am looking for components that are still "kinda" under the radar.

Thus, I ask you for recommendations on:

- Processors (pentium 3 has been recommended to me);
- Motherboards (looking for reliable ones, old MOBOs are notorious for breaking down)
- RAM - not much expectations here, also RAM is mostly cheap even if it's retro, but would like to know the optimal route
- GPU - I've been told to look for Geforce 4 or 5, such as 4200Ti, but those are unfortunately plagued by retro tax and are priced similar to cards like geforce 1050Ti (before the mining crisis, that is) which I find ridiculous.

I'd be grateful for any tips.
I live in Poland ; I have access to parts cheaper than on ebay on polish trading portals (allegro, olx), it's easier to find underpriced gems there. Ebay, I haven't opened in years regarding retro items; the price hike has been ridiculous 10 years ago and nowadays it's not even worth checking.
The only thing I sorta can't get in Poland are 19-21" CRTs that aren't basically junk - I got a somewhat good 17" SONY monitor with good brightness that turns on quickly, but pretty much all remaining stock in Poland is spent junk and some extreme luck/every day fishing is required to buy anything better.

Fortunately buying old PC hardware is still less ridiculous than buying Amiga 1200, or - even worse - a Neo Geo console.

Cheers!

Reply 1 of 60, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Depending on if you want real DOS mode sound support versus running through Windows then MB chipset matters. But Athlon64s can run Win98 and are cheap around here, I recommend going Socket 754 for Win98 versus Socket 939. Prices vary by region but I've got MB + CPU + RAM shipped for under $50 USD. Then add in a Geforce 5500FX which run $30-45 USD. Then a Sound Blaster Live or Audigy for audio which run around $20 or so. That ends up getting about $100 but still needing case, psu, and storage.

A great feature of those CPUs is there CPU cooler mounts are still compatible with modern coolers so a brand new AM4+ cooler will work on it just fine and be much quieter than anything stock from that era, and probably provide better cooling.

Reply 2 of 60, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you aren't picky about high end stuff and can deal with the few titles that don't run well on fast systems you can make a trouble free Win9x gaming system based on basically any Pentium 4 board that has an Intel chipset, DDR RAM and an AGP slot.
The best thing about them is they all use +12V to create the CPU voltages so you can use basically any modern PSU with 20(+4)pin motherboard connector and 4(+4)pin CPU connector.
Add any SB live! card for sound and any Geforce 3/4/FX GPU plus 256-512MB RAM and virtually any (compatible) P4 CPU and you'll have an enjoyable experience with >90% of Win9x games for still very little money.
Everything beyond that is just for higher performance in late Win9x AAA titles.

Reply 4 of 60, by draetheus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If Win 98 games are first priority and DOS games are second priority, I'd highly recommend either a P4 or an Athlon 64 with a VIA chipset motherboard. P4s and A64s can be had very cheap, and VIA chipsets have very good driver support for Win 98, and in my experience, the ACPI implementation is very good too (shutdown/restart is reliable, ACPI throttling works very well). I have a preference for A64s due to the CPU multiplier control and compatibility with new heatsinks but P4s are more plentiful due to high production and business use of P4s during their era. DDR ram is dirt cheap. Low end GeForce FX series like 5200 and 5500 are cheap and good enough as long as they are 128-bit memory interface. You didn't mention sound cards but there are a variety of cheap PCI sound cards available with at least decent DOS compatibility. I'm a fan of Yamaha YMF7X4 cards as they are as close to do everything as you can get.

If DOS gaming is a first priority, you're likely going to have to pay some retro tax for a P3 or older socket 462 athlon board with an ISA slot to ensure good DOS sound compatibility. At least thats what people around here say, but I have yet to run into any compatibility issues with my YMF744.

Reply 5 of 60, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a P4 build with an intel 865p chipset. Rock solid stable and great performance. Has SATA 1.5 support that works great with windows 98. USB 2.0. Gigabit ethernet. The works.

An ATI 9600 is a cheap and very fast video card.

The MX 440 or cheaper FX cards are a lot slower but in some ways are more retro friendly. But with a "slower" video card, IMO a P3 board with an ISA slot makes more sense. That way you have the option of installing an ISA sound card for DOS.

Reply 7 of 60, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-03-05, 18:08:

I have a P4 build with an intel 865p chipset. Rock solid stable and great performance. Has SATA 1.5 support that works great with windows 98. USB 2.0. Gigabit ethernet. The works.

An ATI 9600 is a cheap and very fast video card.

The MX 440 or cheaper FX cards are a lot slower but in some ways are more retro friendly. But with a "slower" video card, IMO a P3 board with an ISA slot makes more sense. That way you have the option of installing an ISA sound card for DOS.

I don't know about the 9600Pro, but with a 9500Pro I quickly noticed some negatives like scrolling on "Lost Vikings" not being smooth (on real dos, on windows 98 it's even worse), I don't think it happens with a geforce MX

but yes, the MX is inferior, still I remember around 2002/2003, GF4 MX + lower clocked P4 being very popular even,
and for most windows 98 games it's kind of a beast anyway (well as long as you don't push resolution to modern levels that is!)

but like most people said, S478, S462, S754 are very 98 friendly and very easy/cheap to find, and something like the famous FX5200/5500 is going to be extremely easy to find and cheap and perform OK (specially with a relatively fast CPU, and a 128bits model)

if you want a p3 with isa slot for example it starts becoming a bit harder, and realistically speaking P3 is kind of slow for some early 2000s games that were still officially supporting 98.

Reply 8 of 60, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ATI's compatibility with DOS is not as good as Nvidia's. The 9600 pro is very fast and cheap, but it really only makes sense on a fast machine meant for windows D3D games.

Finding a socket 370 or slot 1 board with an ISA slot is not hard at all and they aren't really any more expensive than decent socket 478 boards. I don't think a pentium 3 is a bad match at all for period appropriate games. It really depends on what you are trying to do.

Reply 9 of 60, by Retrojanusz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you guys for the replies. Some excellent suggestions here! Clarification: I have a dedicated 486DX machine, so DOS compatibility/support is a non-matter. It's 100% about Win98 and (potentially) some winXP.

I also happen to have a Sound Blaster Live that I salveged from an old PC ages ago. It's still in my drawer and should be working.

Reply 10 of 60, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hate them but the cheapest is a old OEM P4 with a dirt cheap Geforce 3/4MX/FX what have you.

Throw in a decent sound card and off to the races, it will play 90% of Win98 games that are worth playing.

Most of us spend more time trying to recreate the bygone days of hardware that we lusted after when new, than actually playing the games we claim to love. At least I know I do....

Reply 11 of 60, by Retrojanusz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SScorpio wrote on 2021-03-05, 16:50:

A great feature of those CPUs is there CPU cooler mounts are still compatible with modern coolers so a brand new AM4+ cooler will work on it just fine and be much quieter than anything stock from that era, and probably provide better cooling.

This sounds fantastic, actually. I recall old hardware being really noisy, so this would be really welcome.

Same goes for GPUs. Passively cooled would be my preference, since it also gets rid of the fan problem. I mean, those are 20-year old fans, so they are likely in need to be replaced, which is extra hassle.

The cheapest FX5500 model with a 128-bit memory is this one:

alXBgEZ.png

the price is roughly 8$. How's that? good enough?

Reply 12 of 60, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Retrojanusz wrote on 2021-03-05, 23:10:
This sounds fantastic, actually. I recall old hardware being really noisy, so this would be really welcome. […]
Show full quote
SScorpio wrote on 2021-03-05, 16:50:

This sounds fantastic, actually. I recall old hardware being really noisy, so this would be really welcome.

Same goes for GPUs. Passively cooled would be my preference, since it also gets rid of the fan problem. I mean, those are 20-year old fans, so they are likely in need to be replaced, which is extra hassle.

alXBgEZ.png

It's 8$ so yeah. If you find you need a faster card later eight dollars feels pretty easy to get rid of.

Reply 14 of 60, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just set your expectations appropriately. It is good for 1024x768 resolution, probably not much in the way of AA and AF, and you won't want to play classic XP games like farcry or half life 2 on it. It will tear up quake III and half life though.

The FX 5500 is basically the same as the FX 5200. It is all in the clock speeds. Here is more or less what to expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09qvRCv7ThE

Reply 15 of 60, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

slot 1, 440bx boards are still cheap. I don't get the logic that becasue P4 is newer than PIII that its any more reliable. On the contrary a lot of p4 boards were produced during the capacitor plague.

You can do slot 1, 440bx + Geforce 440MX, 256 MB of ram, Spinner hard drive. And a cheap slot 1 cpu. You can probably build that for under 100 dollars including case and PSU, if you find a junker.

Last edited by Warlord on 2021-03-06, 00:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 60, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My Win98 system is a Pentium 4 without hyperthreading, 512MB RAM, Intel motherboard, SB Live 5.1 and a Geforce 2 MX 400 video card. Yes, the video card is a bottle neck for a lot of things, but that's what I had available and so far, it works correctly for all the games I want to run on it. Lack of ISA slots does not bother me because I have a Pentium MMX 233 system for DOS games that require that.

Reply 17 of 60, by draetheus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2021-03-05, 23:17:

I would not go below 5700 for FX series.

IIRC the problem with the FX 5700 is that its an NV36 and thus you can't INF mod it for older driver support. May not be necessary for OP depending on his games but worth bringing up. FX 5800/5900 are ok.

Re: I don't understand all the hate for the Nvidia FX series

Reply 18 of 60, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GPU - I've been told to look for Geforce 4 or 5, such as 4200Ti, but those are unfortunately plagued by retro tax

Normal GeForce FX 5600 or 5700. Nobody loves these cards. Avoid any FX5200/5500 junk, they are far below GF4 Ti performance.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 19 of 60, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Retrojanusz wrote on 2021-03-05, 23:10:
The cheapest FX5500 model with a 128-bit memory is this one: […]
Show full quote

alXBgEZ.png

My 5500 FX is also passively cooled though it has a larger heatsink than that one. For $8 it's worth a try. If you mod the inf file so the 5500 is recognized as a 5200 you can use I believe the 46.x drivers.

Stick with Direct3D 8 or earlier games. The FX cards are Nvidia's first 9 cards but it doesn't run well. For 9 games I use an XP machine.