VOGONS

First post, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello fellow vogonians, today I just discovered in my stash that I had a vlb Cirrus Logic combo card, in the same card there is the vga and a controller.
The card is named: BN-VMIO-003 Rev: C
There are many jumpers but no explanation on the card and I didn't find any online manual.
I was also wondering if have such combo card can be an advantage compared to have to use 2 vlb cards (controller and video).
It should me let use higher bus clock and having just 1 card should avoid any too populated problems with the bus, while as a con I thought that the video and i\o card share all the bandwidth, so it could lead to lower performance?

Any idea and help?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 16, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe a picture could help?

photo_2021-03-07_05-02-05.jpg
Filename
photo_2021-03-07_05-02-05.jpg
File size
190.57 KiB
Views
File comment
VLB combo card
File license
Public domain

Also I know that upgrade the memory is useless, but if I want to populate the empty memory slot, which weird of chips should I use?

Reply 3 of 16, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The CL5428 is a pretty fast video card and the fact its a combo card makes it somewhat unique, I'd build PC around it simply for those 2 reasons alone.
I'm not sure about the pro's and con's. Would be a interesting little project to test if you could figure out how to disable the I/O side of things

Reply 4 of 16, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

, I'd build PC around it simply for those 2 reasons alone.

Combined CIrrus Logic + IO cards weren't something special back in the day. It's just two cheap common cards combined into one, to save some money. And 5428 is not fast by any stretch of imagination, but 486, other than overclocked DX4/5x86, is just to weak for most SVGA stuff, where this card is severely lacking.

while as a con I thought that the video and i\o card share all the bandwidth, so it could lead to lower performance?

VLB works in parallel with FSB, amount of slots does not matter, they all share the same bandwidth with interrupts.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 16, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also have a CL5428 & IDE VLB combo card, unfortunately the brand and layout is completely different so I can't help you with the jumper settings.
Regarding it's intended use, I always thought those were not meant to provide any performance advantage over 2 distinct cards, but to let someone with only 1 VLB slot to have VLB speed for their VGA and I/O. There were many motherboards with only one VLB slot. From my dirty benchmarks, even when sharing the same slot this card is definitely faster for both VGA and I/O than their ISA equivalents, which is in par with how VLB works (the whole bus shares the FSB, be it in different slots or not)

Reply 6 of 16, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nemo1985 wrote on 2021-03-07, 04:04:

Maybe a picture could help?

I see there are three jumpers near to the IDE connector, guessing two of them have something to do with passing a signal on the IDE connector
several unpopulated ones
4 pins next to the IDE is probably HDD led
26pin VESA feature connector
34pin floppy connector
16pin Game port ?
10pin serial port
8x3 pin jumpers - probably enable/disable for the ports and first/second select for serial & parallel
10 pin serial port

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 7 of 16, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-03-15, 10:18:

VLB works in parallel with FSB, amount of slots does not matter, they all share the same bandwidth with interrupts.

I need a clarification about that, the vlb slots they all share the same bandwidth so we have 133mb\s for all the bus, or every slot has 133mb\s to use?
If it is the first option then yes a combo card is ok since the bandwidth is shared between all slot, but if every slot can use 133mb\s then (it's not going to happen) the video card can be slower because it has to share the same bandwidth with the controller which is on the very same card.

weedeewee wrote on 2021-03-15, 12:46:
I see there are three jumpers near to the IDE connector, guessing two of them have something to do with passing a signal on the […]
Show full quote

I see there are three jumpers near to the IDE connector, guessing two of them have something to do with passing a signal on the IDE connector
several unpopulated ones
4 pins next to the IDE is probably HDD led
26pin VESA feature connector
34pin floppy connector
16pin Game port ?
10pin serial port
8x3 pin jumpers - probably enable/disable for the ports and first/second select for serial & parallel
10 pin serial port

Thank you very much for the tip, I will give a check and report back!

Reply 8 of 16, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nemo1985 wrote on 2021-03-15, 16:48:

I need a clarification about that, the vlb slots they all share the same bandwidth so we have 133mb\s for all the bus, or every slot has 133mb\s to use?
If it is the first option then yes a combo card is ok since the bandwidth is shared between all slot, but if every slot can use 133mb\s then (it's not going to happen) the video card can be slower because it has to share the same bandwidth with the controller which is on the very same card.

all the VLB slots share the bandwidth. same as all the ISA slots, and all the PCI slots.
only PCIe does not share.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 10 of 16, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nemo1985 wrote on 2021-03-15, 16:57:

So using a combo card only has advantages, since it give less interferences and then to be able to achieve higher fsb frequency.

Maybe. If the max fsb of this card is 33MHz, you're stuck at 33MHz.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 11 of 16, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I need a clarification about that,

Parallel bus = shared.
Serial bus = separate.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 13 of 16, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I’ve seen pictures of the v1.4 revision of this board. I’ve not seen the v2.0 before.

That VIDE-1 controller chip is pretty rare. Let me know if you can find Dos or Windows drivers for it. I have not been able to find them.

Is there a Dos driver for the controller in the Rom?

Reply 15 of 16, by rolierop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I have got myself one too for cheap. It's a V 2.0.
Untested, but worth the try. If anyone has an idea about these jumpers...... There is really nothing to be found on Google.
If it works I will order additional memory for it.

FIC 486-VIP-IO2 | Intel 486DX2 66 Mhz Overdrive | PicoGus
MSI MS-5168 | Intel Pentium 233 MMX | Sound Blaster Live
Asus P2B-F|Intel Pentium III 550 | Yamaha Audician 32 + Dreamblaster
MSI P35 Platinum | Intel Core2Duo E8600 | Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value

Reply 16 of 16, by rolierop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tested it and it works beautiful. I get reasonable results when I benchmark it, although it's clearly not the fastest VLB videocard. Picture output is sharp and clean. But my PCI Cirrus Logic GD5430 is just a little faster.
I played with the jumper settings and I found the following:

JP1 ?
JP3 & JP4 enable/disable IDE?
JP8 ?
JP11 ?
JP19 ?
JP20 enable/disable FDD?

The jumpers on the right side next to eachother are randomly numberd, but I will go from left to right

JP11 ?
JP14 address 378 or 278
JP13 address 3F8/2F8 or 2E8/3E8
JP16 ?
JP15 1 or 2 COM ports
JP12 enable/disable parallel port
JP17 enable/disable serial port
JP18 ?

I can confirm the serial en parallel ports working fine. Could not test floppy and IDE. I get a conflict with my onboard controller when I try.
Memory expansion to 2 MB is still a possiblity. These chips, HYB514256B-60 SIEMENS 256 K x 4-Bit Dynamic RAM,DIP, can be found on Ebay for around $20: https://www.ebay.com/itm/271538930792
I will sell it though.

FIC 486-VIP-IO2 | Intel 486DX2 66 Mhz Overdrive | PicoGus
MSI MS-5168 | Intel Pentium 233 MMX | Sound Blaster Live
Asus P2B-F|Intel Pentium III 550 | Yamaha Audician 32 + Dreamblaster
MSI P35 Platinum | Intel Core2Duo E8600 | Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value