VOGONS

First post, by MoG91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good Afternoon Everyone,
I have a Dell XPI that I’d really like to get working that’s missing a charger. Unfortunately the other Dell chargers I have don’t fit it and I can’t seem to find it online. Does anyone have a recommendation on where to buy this from? Or maybe a good universal one that could work with this Or does anyone have one they could personally sell? Thanks in advance for any help,

Reply 1 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Where are you located?

If in the USA, Amazon has an aftermarket one for $17.99:
https://www.amazon.com/Kircuit-Adapter-Latitu … r/dp/B082W45W1H

Here is a used Genuine Dell adapter on eBay for $14.99 (I would go with this one):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Adapter-Pow ... 694032960

Really, all you need is to look for is the power adapter model number, which is PA-6.

If you search by that, a ton of options come up.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 5, by MoG91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-03-05, 22:47:
Where are you located? […]
Show full quote

Where are you located?

If in the USA, Amazon has an aftermarket one for $17.99:
https://www.amazon.com/Kircuit-Adapter-Latitu … r/dp/B082W45W1H

Here is a used Genuine Dell adapter on eBay for $14.99 (I would go with this one):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Adapter-Pow ... 694032960

Really, all you need is to look for is the power adapter model number, which is PA-6.

If you search by that, a ton of options come up.

Unfortunately that’s not the charger. I have one of those and it doesn’t fit! I’m not quite sure what the model is and I’m having trouble figuring it out. I took a picture of the port here

Edit: Also I’m located in the US

Attachments

Reply 3 of 5, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need to look for the Dell PA-1 charger, you can also search for "dell 18.5v" and get some results that way. It's got quite a distinctive plug with that rounded end.
Here's what one looks like from a search:

dell-pa1-1.jpg
Filename
dell-pa1-1.jpg
File size
279.27 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
dell-pa1-2.jpg
Filename
dell-pa1-2.jpg
File size
146.5 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
dell-pa1-3.jpg
Filename
dell-pa1-3.jpg
File size
243.16 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I should really buy one of these some day, lately I just run laptops off of my bench PSU and home made adapters.
Also, one of the Dell XPi CD P150 ST laptops I received did come with an aftermarket charger like the PA-6 plug, but they'd jammed it/cut it down to fit and worked. I don't like using aftermarket chargers though.

Reply 4 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, ok. I forgot they were slightly different. I have an XPi CD and some PA-6 chargers.. have a PA-1 as well but I didn't actually double check t make sure which one fit... I haven't messed with that laptop in quite a while.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 5, by MoG91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2021-03-06, 02:14:
You need to look for the Dell PA-1 charger, you can also search for "dell 18.5v" and get some results that way. It's got quite a […]
Show full quote

You need to look for the Dell PA-1 charger, you can also search for "dell 18.5v" and get some results that way. It's got quite a distinctive plug with that rounded end.
Here's what one looks like from a search:

dell-pa1-1.jpgdell-pa1-2.jpgdell-pa1-3.jpg

I should really buy one of these some day, lately I just run laptops off of my bench PSU and home made adapters.
Also, one of the Dell XPi CD P150 ST laptops I received did come with an aftermarket charger like the PA-6 plug, but they'd jammed it/cut it down to fit and worked. I don't like using aftermarket chargers though.

Should it work fine if I cut a PA-6 plug? I have a few of those and wouldn’t mind cutting one a little with a dremel. I don’t know much about this end of it and am a little scared to modify it. But thank you so much. This is at least coming up with the results for what I need!

Edit:I actually found it on eBay when looking up “Dell 81407” now that I have the dell part number! And it was $11. Better than the $50 I was looking at spending before. You guys are awesome thank you so much,