XT IDE bios

Topic actions

First post, by jcarvalho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys!!
I have a small question about XTIDE...
I have tried to use the BIOS from http://www.xtideuniversalbios.org/binaries/r604/ide_386.bin to flash an 27c256 but no luck with it.
For the NIC it is like nothing was there, but using https://code.google.com/archive/p/xtideuniver … .zip/ide_at.bin I could boot the PC and the boot rom was recognized.
Does anyone knows why?
burning the roms with 27C128, same thing, with the new r604 version of xtide bios it is like there is no bootrom on the NIC. Does nothing.
I am using an 386DX40 build
Any ideas?

Many Thanks!
Jorge

Reply 1 of 9, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How are you flashing the ROMs? With an EEPROM programmer?
There is a DOS utility included with the XT-IDE BIOS. Try using that when flashing the BIOS directly on the NIC.

Reply 2 of 9, by jcarvalho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jesolo wrote on 2021-03-05, 23:34:

How are you flashing the ROMs? With an EEPROM programmer?
There is a DOS utility included with the XT-IDE BIOS. Try using that when flashing the BIOS directly on the NIC.

Hi! Well, I extract the bios file, open MiniPro Programmer software (free download), I select the chip(27C128) ,open the bios file, select the pad with zeros option. Then I save the bios that become to be 16KB size and burn it with an Willems pcb 3. I dont have the miniPro, I just use the software.
With the google code version this method works. The xtide bios is loaded on boot. Using the exact same method with the new version r604 it does nothing. Do I need to use the configuration tool that comes with the r604 version, save the bios with the settings chosen in the program and then burn it?
Many thanks!

Reply 3 of 9, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jcarvalho wrote on 2021-03-05, 22:44:

Any ideas?

Most network cards will take a AT28C64B chip, not one of the BIOS chips you pull off an old VGA card (winbond 27 series)

However, we would need to know what network card you are plugging the EEPROM into to make any recommendations.

Generally if you have the right chip, and you set it up correctly, you get good results.

Reply 4 of 9, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jcarvalho wrote on 2021-03-05, 23:44:

With the google code version this method works. The xtide bios is loaded on boot. Using the exact same method with the new version r604 it does nothing. Do I need to use the configuration tool that comes with the r604 version, save the bios with the settings chosen in the program and then burn it?
Many thanks!

Normally, you grab the BIOS file, run the configuration utility on it (I like to do it in DOSBOX on my main PC), then you get a binary file you can program to your EEPROM with.

I haven't tried release r604 yet, it could just be a bad build.

Reply 5 of 9, by jcarvalho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
canthearu wrote on 2021-03-05, 23:47:
jcarvalho wrote on 2021-03-05, 23:44:

Many thanks!

Normally, you grab the BIOS file, run the configuration utility on it (I like to do it in DOSBOX on my main PC), then you get a binary file you can program to your EEPROM with.

I haven't tried release r604 yet, it could just be a bad build.

Well, the card is an NE2000 compatible. I can guarantee that the old bios in google.code totally works (may be pre-configured).
In the new release, in fact I do nothing with the configuration tool, just extract the bin file from zip and burn it... Maybe is that what I am doing wrong. I dont use the tool.

Reply 8 of 9, by jcarvalho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-03-06, 00:24:

On many NICs the boot ROM socket needs to be software enabled before it will do anything

Hi! My NIC is because when I put the xt_at.bin from google.code, I can see the xtide bios kicking in and my CF works and loads the msdos. Does nothing when using the r604 version from xtide website

Reply 9 of 9, by jcarvalho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi to all! Problem solved. Opened the xtidecfg.com in DOSBOX, loaded the file ide_386l.bin (all files from de r604 release) and select the save file option. Padded it with zeros with the MiniPro Programmer software. And burned it with my Willem programmer in an 27C128. My 386 booted and found the bootrom. I am happy!