VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cutting to the chase; I'd like opinions on what minimum / preferred hardware I should target for a modern MMORPG ("MORPG"... minus the "massively")?

I would like for it to be playable as a minimum on a 486 with stock VGA, 320 x 240 mode X, maybe also supporting Glide as an option, under DOS, and a preferred SVGA on a Pentium, supporting OpenGL still under DOS. I'd want to switch to Win95 only if there was no other option for DOS.

But I'd like to hear other people's suggestions / opinions on what hardware they think would be necessary for any such game to be playable, and what hardware would be necessary for it to be enjoyable.
Now, further thoughts I've had about it:

A big part of my interest in retro PC hardware is catching-up on the experience I missed in the 80s/90s; I went the Commodore 64 / Amiga route, and missed out on DOS / Win 3.1 / Win95 software (game) development.
I guess you could say it's on my bucket list, but my ambition is to create modern versions of old game genres capable of running on old hardware. New games using old OS/hardware. I know this seems to be a growing popular thing among C64 and Gameboy enthusiasts.

For example, I want to develop CGA/EGA games such as side-scrollers / platformers, maybe eventually something advanced for that era, like isometric or first/3rd person/2.5-D games.
I'd also like to create something specifically with/for WinG and Win 3.1 A small, simple first-person maze game, maybe akin to Dungeon Master.

Just before I discovered Everquest, I had been playing MUDs, and had started playing a graphical MUD called "Twilight Lands".
It was very primitive, with cartoony graphics that advanced "room" by "room" like a regular mud, iirc.
It had great, very atmospheric midi music, and I vaguely recall playing it on my K6-II 300mhz computer.
Such a multiplayer game wouldn't have to be 1st or 3rd person like EQ or WoW; it could be isometric like UO. Perhaps ideally the client could be isometric or raycast on weaker hardware, and 1st/3rd person like EQ or Wow on more powerful hardware such as Pentiums with 3D accelerated video cards (yes, that last would require Windows of some kind sigh.

The server-side of it would/could run on modern Linux, though an alternative might be LAN-parties as I recall having with my friends playing Diablo at the local Mazzio's Pizza on laptops back in the day (10-base-2 coax connections, at that).

Reply 1 of 2, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

btw, if someone thinks something like this could be done on weaker hardware, please speak up and let me know.
The idea of a multiplayer, graphical online game that would run on, say, a Tandy 1000 would be exciting.

Reply 2 of 2, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tbh if you want to go multiplayer and online, the first thing to consider is the network stack. With a modern PC, the OS does that for you, but under DOS, you need to write a lot yourself. NDIS/ODI can take some of the work away, but at the cost of big RAM overhead - and conventional memory is always an issue. My first instinct would be to look at packet drivers for Ethernet (or parallel connection for systems without Ethernet adapter), as that gives you networking all the way down to XT levels without huge overhead.

Tied into that choice is memory management. If you use a DOS extender you have most flexibility, but you need a >386 with XMS. For older systems EMS can help, but pre-386 (and EMM386) it's a steep hardware requirement. Or just do everything in <640k conventional memory. That will work on anything - but limits you greatly on what you can do.